This is the perfect way to savour the flavours of the summer with this super delicious and very easy peach crisp! Fresh peaches are the heart of dish and topped with a layer of crispy oats and a scoop or three of vanilla ice cream makes for a yummy treat!
This is the perfect summertime comfort food and so easy to bring together! I personally love making this recipe when we have family and friends over. The last time it was my parents, sister, nieces and and nephew that came by. They had no idea I was going to bring this out after dinner and weren’t they happy about it! You slice up some peaches, add to a bowl with a few simple ingredients, same with the topping – simple on-hand ingredients, bake in the oven, serve with ice-cream or whipped cream and ta-da!
Table of Contents
Recipe Tips and Notes
Crisp vs. Cobbler – first things first, both are amazing and both have a streusel type of topping that gets baked in the oven. Cobblers have a biscuit type of topping and very rarely contain oats or nuts, whereas Crisps do.
Not Quite Ripe – if your peaches are not quite ripe, place them in a brown paper bags for 1-2 days to help speed up the ripening process.
Flax Seeds – completely optional, however its a great addition especially if you are wanting to add more fibre in your diet.
Easy Peach Crisp
- Peach Filling
- 3 – 4 large Fresh Peaches 4 – 5 cups
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ⅓ cup Granulated White Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Oat Crisp Topping
- ½ cups Flour
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax Seeds optional
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Peach Juices from Filling
- ½ cup Cold Unsalted Butter cubed into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and set a rack in the middle position. Butter a medium baking dish, set aside.
- Pit, peel, and slice peaches, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the peaches, lemon juice, granulated sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, ground cinnamon and salt. Mix well, ensuring peaches are evenly coated. Set aside for around 15 mins.
- By now, your peaches will have released a lot of juices, reserve a ¼ cup of peach liquid from filling mixture to add to the dry ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, ground flax seeds, nutmeg and salt, mix until well combined with no lumps.
- Add the butter and ¼ cup peach juice reserve to the dry mixture and mix with a spoon until crumbly. It will be much easier to use your hands, to achieve a proper texture.
- Transfer your peach mixture to the prepared baking dish, and ensure it’s evenly spread. Next, layer on your oat mixture, ensuring an even spread.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the filling bubbling to the surface along edges and in-between filling.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, and enjoy!