The Best Browned Butter Skor Toffee Cookies are delightfully soft, chewy, crispy around the edges and very easy to make! They are made using flavourful browned butter, skor toffee bits and a hint of vanilla; which make for a very irresistible treat! This cookie recipe is deliciously addictive and makes for the perfect sweet snack, bake sale treat or cookie box gift! This recipe also includes easy steps for browning butter!
Love Brown Butter? Try my Brown Butter White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies and my Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Table of Contents
The Best Browned Butter Skor Toffee Cookies
Browned Butter Skor Toffee Cookies are so dangerously delicious, and oh so very addictive! Afterall, they are browned butter cookies and buttah makes it taste better. They are the perfect treat to share with family and friends or just enjoy on your own.
Whatever the occasion, wherever the setting, it is bound to be a hit! So to find out how to make rich and buttery thin, soft and chewy toffee cookies, read below!
Here’s Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Perfect for Any Occasion – whether it’s a bake sale, personal enjoyment, a gathering, or a holiday cookie box, brown butter toffee cookies will be a hit!
- Amazing Flavour – browned butter is the secret to buttery, irresistible cookies! Anything with brown butter adds depth of flavour, and this cookie recipe is no different.
- Quick & Easy – these cookies bake in less than 10 minutes! But if you’re pressed for time, chill the cookie dough and bake them later!
- Customizable – from the flavour to the texture, these cookies can be made to suit your personal taste. For example, you can make them as thick or as thin as you’d like!
What is Browned Butter?
Browned butter is regular butter that has been cooked over medium-low heat, until it has turned a warm amber colour. Once browned, it gives a nutty aroma that provides a great, and distinctive flavour. It’s basically liquid gold and can be used in both sweet and savoury dishes. When paired with the skor toffee bits, it’s to die for!
How to Make Browned Butter
All you need is butter, a pan (preferably light in colour), and something to stir it with.
Step One: Add Butter to Small Skillet or Pot, cut butter into smaller pieces, and place into a small skillet.
Step Two: Heat Butter, heat skillet or pot over medium-low heat. Once melted, the butter will begin to foam and sizzle. You want to ensure a constant stir to prevent burning. Once browned, you will visibly see the colour change to amber/golden yellow and the smell will be nutty, buttery, and distinctively bold.
Step Three: Remove, remove the butter from the heat and transfer to a heat safe dish to cool.
TSS Tip: Use room temperature butter (if you use cold butter is has the tendency to splatter and burn easily).
What’s Needed to Make this Recipe (Kitchen Tools and Equipment)
- Skillet or Saucepan – to make browned butter.
- Mixing Bowl – to store the browned butter while it cools.
- Baking Sheet – to bake the cookies.
- Cookie Scoop – in order to scoop out the dough evenly.
What You Need to Make Browned Butter Skor Toffee Cookies
- Unsalted Browned Butter – softened/room temperature.
- Brown Sugar – this deepens the toffee flavour and adds moisture which results in soft, chewy cookies.
- Granulated White Sugar – for sweetness.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – without this, the cookies are just missing something.
- Eggs – they should be room temperature for ease of mixing.
- Baking Soda – this ensures your cookies are fluffy and not flat.
- Salt – to balance the flavours.
- All Purpose Flour – spooned and leveled.
- Skor – or regular toffee bits.
How to Make the Best Browned Butter Skor Toffee Cookies
Step One: Brown Butter – over medium-low heat, melt butter in a saucepan. Allow to simmer until the butter begins to turn a warm amber color with a nutty aroma. Pour the butter (including the more browned pieces settled at the bottom) into a mixing bowl. Allow to cool to room temperature, around 15 minutes. Once butter has cooled, add brown sugar and white granulated sugar to the bowl, mix until well incorporated ensuring to scrape down the sides.
Step Two: Add Wet Ingredients – add eggs one at a time, mixing in-between each addition. Add vanilla, mix until incorporated.
Step Three: Add Dry Ingredients, Combine & Chill – add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined. Fold in skor bits, do not overmix batter. Place dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes to cool.
Step Four: Preheat Oven – preheat oven to 350°F or 177°C. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat; set aside.
Step Five: Scoop – remove from fridge, scoop about a heaping tablespoon of the cookie dough at a time and roll into balls (use a cookie scoop if you have one on hand, mine were 40g each)
Step Six: Bake, Remove and Enjoy – place about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes until edges golden brown. The centers will still be soft for “soft and chewy cookies”. For crispier cookies, bake for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for a few minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe Substitutions and Tips
- For a Slightly Thicker or “Dough-i-er” Cookie – add another 1/4 to 1/3 cup of flour to the cookie dough.
- Delicious Add-ins – want even more flavor and texture? Consider adding 1/2 cup of wither oats, nuts, or raisins.
- Sprinkle with Sea Salt – play up that deep caramel flavour from the browned butter by adding sea salt flakes to freshly baked cookies.
Serving Suggestions and Tips
Nothing beats warm cookies and milk. Have browned butter skor toffee cookies with a glass of cold milk or your favorite non-dairy beverage. Check out my Homemade Almond Milk recipe for a vegan milk alternative.
Recipe Notes and Tips for Success
- Better Brown Butter – when browning your butter, cut it into smaller pieces. Stir the room-temperature butter continuously to ensure even cooking. And use a light coloured pan so you can tell when the butter is browned and ready to be removed from the heat.
- Watch Brown Butter Closely – when browning butter, be very vigilant and don’t allow it to get too brown as the liquids will start to evaporate.
- Room Temp Butter – cool browned butter to room temperature. This is especially important when adding the egg to the sugar-butter mixture. Cooked eggs are not a part of the recipe!
- Chill Your Dough – this can be difficult especially when warm cookies are in view, but I can guarantee you’ll have even better tasting cookies if you allow your dough to cool.
- Don’t Throw Out the Brown Bits – the specks at the bottom of the pan are toasted milk solids. Include it in the cookie batter because this is where most of the flavour comes from.
- 10 mins on 350 degrees Fahrenheit is all you need!
Can I Make Browned Butter Skor Toffee Cookies Ahead of Time?
Yes! Roll the cookie dough into balls. Then store them and refrigerate for up to 4 days. They’ll last for 3 months in the freezer. When you are ready to bake the cookies, you can either wait for them to come to room temperature or preheat the oven to 350°F or 177°C and bake from frozen for 15 minutes.
Store leftover browned butter skor toffee cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Recreate that ooey-gooey texture from the first bake by popping leftover cookies into the microwave for about 10 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What does brown butter do to cookies?
Brown butter enriches the flavour of cookies and adds a deep, nutty, caramel quality. It’s a tasty way to upgrade even the most basic cookies.
What is the secret to chewy cookies?
Eggs are a must for chewy cookies. Some cookie recipes use egg yolks because they have more fat and result in cookies that are even moister.
Where can I find toffee bits?
You can find them at many grocery stores in the Chipits Brand in the baking aisle where chocolate chips are kept, or at bulk food stores such as Bulk Barn.
Interested In More Cookie recipes? Check These Out!
- Soft & Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Cookies and Cream Cookies
- Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful and tasty!
Lastly, sign up to our monthly newsletter for all TSS updates straight to your inbox!
The Best Browned Butter Skor Toffee Cookies
- 1 cup Unsalted Browned Butter softened/room temperature
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour spooned and leveled
- 3/4 – 1 cup Skor or Regular Toffee Bits
- Over medium-low heat, melt butter in a saucepan. Allow to simmer until the butter begins to turn a warm amber color with a nutty aroma. Pour the butter (including the more browned pieces settled at the bottom) into a mixing bowl. Allow to cool to room temperature, around 15 minutes. Once butter has cooled, add brown sugar and white granulated sugar to the bowl, mix until well incorporated ensuring to scrape down the sides.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing in-between each addition. Add vanilla, mix until incorporated.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined. Fold in skor bits, do not overmix batter. Place dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 177°C. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat; set aside.
- Remove from fridge, scoop about a heaping tablespoon of the cookie dough at a time and roll into balls (use a cookie scoop if you have one on hand, mine were 40g each)
- Place about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes until edges golden brown. The centers will still be soft for “soft and chewy cookies”. For crispier cookies, bake for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for a few minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.