Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect sweet salty cookies with tender and chewy centers and crisp buttery edges. These cookies are easy to make and feature ribbons of toffee pieces throughout and are made with brown butter that add the wow factor to these delicious treats. Recipe includes step by step recipe video to help you make these perfectly at home!
Love brown butter cookies? Me too! Check out this The Best Browned Butter Skor Toffee Cookies and these super yummy Brown Butter White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies!
Table of Contents
Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies just like my Browned Butter Skor Toffee Cookies are so dangerously delicious and very addictive! They are your classic chocolate chip cookies but made with brown butter and toffee pieces which take them up a good few notches. I love that no matter the crowd, these cookies are always a hit with family, friends and even complete strangers.
Here are some other reasons why I love these Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- The addition of brown butter add depth of flavour making these cookies completely irresistible
- They have the perfect slightly crispy edges with melt in your mouth centers
- Simply put, these are one of the best brown butter chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever eat and they are simply my absolute favourite
Looking for More Brown Butter Cookie Recipes? Check These Out…
What are Toffee Bits?
Toffee is made from sugar and butter then crushed into little crunchy sweets bits. It is similar to caramel but cooked longer until it reaches a hardened more brittle state.
Where to Find Toffee Bits
You can find Toffee Bits at most grocery stores in the Chipits Brand in the baking aisle where chocolate chips are kept, or at bulk food stores such as Bulk Barn.
What is Brown Butter?
Brown butter is regular butter that has been cooked over medium-low heat, until it has turned a warm amber colour. Once browned, it gives a nutty aroma that provides such a great, and distinctive flavour. Paired with the skor toffee bits and semi-sweet chocolate chip it’s to die for!
How to Make Brown Butter
It’s simple, all you need is butter, a pan (preferably light in colour), and something to stir it with.
Step One: Add Butter to Small Skillet or Pot – cut butter into smaller pieces, and place into a small skillet.
Step Two: Heat Butter – heat skillet or pot over medium-low heat. Once melted, the butter will begin to foam and sizzle. You want to ensure a constant stir to prevent burning. Once browned, you will visibly see the colour change to amber/golden yellow and the smell will be nutty, buttery, and distinctively bold.
Step Three: Remove – remove the butter from the heat and transfer to a heat safe dish to cool.
TSS Tip: Use room temperature butter (if you use cold butter is has the tendency to splatter and burn easily).
Recipe Tips for Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
- When browning your butter, cut butter into smaller pieces. Ensure it’s at room temp and don’t stop stirring to ensure even cooking, and use a light colour pan to know when your butter is browned and ready to be removed from the heat.
- If you want a thicker or “dough-i-er” cookie, add another 1/4 to 1/3 cup of flour to the cookie dough.
- Ensure your butter is cooled to room temperature, especially when adding the egg to the sugar-butter mixture. Cooked eggs are not apart of the recipe.
- Chill your dough. This can be difficult especially when warm cookies are in view, but I can guarantee you’ll have even better tasting cookies if you allow your dough to cool.
See My Story Below for Step-by-Step Instructions!
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful and tasty!
Lastly, sign up to our monthly newsletter for all TSS updates straight to your inbox!
Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter softened/room temperature
- 1 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1/2 cup Granulated White Sugar
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour spooned and leveled
- 1 cup Toffee Bits
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Over medium-low heat, melt butter in a saucepan. Allow to simmer until the butter begins to turn a warm amber color with a nutty aroma. Pour the butter (including the more browned pieces settled at the bottom) into a mixing bowl. Allow to cool to room temperature, around 15 minutes. Once butter has cooled, add brown sugar and white granulated sugar to the bowl, mix until well incorporated ensuring to scrap down the sides.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing in-between each addition. Add vanilla, mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined. Fold in skor bits and chocolate chips, do not overmix batter. Place dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 177°C. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat; set aside.
- Remove from fridge, scoop about a heaping tablespoon of the cookie dough at a time and roll into balls (use a cookie scoop if you have one on hand, mine were 3oz each)
- Place about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes until edges golden brown. The centers will still be soft for “soft and chewy cookies”. For crispier cookies, bake for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for a few minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.