With warmer weather upon us, it’s time to bring out the grill and all its accessories – which includes a stockpile of BBQ Sauces! This absolutely tasty homemade hickory sauce is great on everything from chicken, to beef, and even tofu!
So, here’s the back story – I absolutely LOVE condiments, sauces, all the extras and variations that come! My husband on the other hand, not so much – he’ll take the original of anything, and take it as it comes – except for BBQ Sauce! We’ve played around with so many ingredients, spices, herbs etc. creating some of the best homemade sauces, and we’re so happy to share them with you especially over the 2020 grilling season!
Variations & Recipe Notes
Vegetarians – If you’re a non-meat eater, try tossing some Crispy Tofu in this sauce! I can guarantee you won’t be missing the meat – especially if the Tofu is prepared correctly!
To Heat or Not to Heat – heating up the sauce prior to applying to meat, is not required. However, the heating process causes the ingredients to combine better and have a more consistent taste and texture.
Tips – When the chicken in nearly finished, approx. 10 min until cooked, remove from oven, in a large mixing bowl toss in sauce until fully coated. You can also use a basting brush – I just find you get a saucier finish when tossed! If you have left over sauce store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week!
Hickory Smoke BBQ Sauce (Chicken)
- 1 cup Tomato Ketchup
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water if heating up prior
- 1 tbsp Natural Hickory Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt or to taste
- Combine ingredients together in a small saucepan and bring to a high simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for an additional 8-10 minutes. Stir often and adjust heat accordingly. You don’t want your sauce to burn!
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Apply to meat or store in an airtight container.