Third Trimester Pregnancy Recap – Pregnancy Essentials & Helpful Tips for First Time Mom (FTM) is a blog post documenting the third trimester of my first pregnancy. From preparing for labour and delivery, to all the things I did to naturally induce labour, how I prepared for postpartum and my top pregnancy essentials, recommendations and tips!
Table of Contents
Third Trimester Recap
The Final Stretch. This is where I was closer than ever before to meeting our little bundle of joy, at the same time it felt like it was an eternity away as the days and weeks dragged on. Just like the previous two trimester, I embraced all it had to offer – the good and the not so good. As the days drew near to game day, the anticipation and excitement also grew. I felt myself going through all the emotions from the joy of knowing I’ll soon be a mother to frustration that it was taking “so long”. The short of it is, I made it. Through the ups and downs, I made it and did it with grace. I’m so excited to continue sharing and documenting my motherhood journey with you all, so stay tuned! For now, let’s get into my third trimester recap…
Third Trimester Pregnancy Recap: Maternity Shoot
I was nearly 36 weeks and a few days when I decided book my maternity shoot, I know 3-6 weeks – I was cutting it so close. I was scheduled to have the shoot earlier however my bump wasn’t bumping and I was looking more bloated than pregnant; so we pushed it!. We chose to go with Caper and Co. (Carly) to capture our special moment and just like our engagement and wedding photos we have no regrets! We had an amazing, relaxed and fun shoot at the Solarium Studio (Preto Loft) in Toronto – here are some pictures…
Third Trimester Pregnancy Recap: Fatigue, Nausea, Pulsatile Tinnitus
Fatigue came back full circle in the third trimester, but was also hit with exhaustion from doing tasks that I could normally conquer with no issues prior. Not to mention, it was summer which explains half the story itself!
- Sleep – taking naps whenever, for however long and having no remorse about it
- Dark Room – MAJGULL blackout curtains from IKEA were ideal
- Wedge Pillow – Baby Works Pregnancy Wedge with Bamboo Cover
- Pregnancy Pillow – Downcool Body Pillow for Adults from Amazon. I preferred this pillow over the PharMeDoc Pregnancy Pillow because as an almost 6ft tall individual it was the better, more comfortable option!
Nausea and All Day Sickness
Like many my “morning sickness” was actually “all day sickness” and started in the first trimester, went away during the second and back with a revenge in the third.
- Eating – small meals, frequently throughout the day with snacks in-between
- Ice Cold Water
- Tea – Lemon, Ginger, Peppermint tea, all day, everyday
- Ginger – from Ginger Tea and Chimes Gourmet Ginger Chews to slices of Raw Ginger and Gravol Ginger Chewable Lozenges
This was still the most aggravating symptom of pregnancy. Pulsatile Tinnitus during pregnancy is the loud thumping or whooshing sound in one or both ears that can sound rhythmic like the sound of a heartbeat. It’s said to be caused by the excess volume of blood in the body during pregnancy. Mine was quite severe, and constant throughout the day. Although it’s untreatable, here are some things that helped:
- White Noise
- Laying on the Side of the affected ear
Third Trimester Pregnancy Recap: How I Prepared for Labour and Delivery
Preparing for labour and delivery was very important during my pregnancy as I didn’t want to go into it unadvised and unprepared. It is true what they say “failing to plan, is planning to fail”. I’m so grateful I did what I did to ensure I had a positive birth experience.
- Build A Positive Birth Team and Birth Plan – I ensured that everyone was on the same page and that everyone knew my wishes and desires. From my husband and mother, to our doula, OB and the nursing staff.
- Food and Exercise – focusing on my overall health, what I ate and staying active was most important to ensuring I felt my best inside out.
- Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy – although beneficial through my entire pregnancy, it was most beneficial towards the end in ensuring the pelvic floor muscles were elastic or relaxed enough for birth as well as proper breathing and pushing techniques.
- Perineal Stretching – I highly recommend every pregnant woman to do these daily towards the end of pregnancy to help prevent tearing on our perineum.
- Christian Hypnobirthing – I used the Christian Hypnobirthing App everyday from around 32 weeks. It entails scripture-based breathing exercises, visualizations, positive affirmations etc. for a more positive, relaxed, spiritual birthing experience.
- Massage Therapy and Chiropractic Care – this was to ensure my physical body was not only relaxed but aligned for a smoother birthing experience.
Third Trimester Pregnancy Recap: Recommended Instagram/Youtube Accounts to Follow
Here are two Youtube accounts I found most beneficial during pregnancy and for preparing me for birth:
Bridget Teyler – Childbirth Educator and Doula
Sarah Lavonne – Registered Nurse and Childbirth Educator
Here are some of the Instagram accounts I found most beneficial during pregnancy and for preparing me for birth:
@durhamregiondoulas – Durham Region Doulas
@thenakeddoula – Visual Birth Educator
@christianhypnobirthing – Christian Hypnobirthing
@painfreebirth – Karen Welton | Birth Coach
@labor.nurse.mama – Trish Ware
What I Did to Naturally Induce Labour
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea, twice daily
- Pineapple, fresh and juiced
- Spicy Foods
- Water, Water, Water – Staying Hydrated
- Evening Primrose Oil (Internally & Orally)
- Sex, semen acts as a natural prostaglandin gel
- Exercise Ball
- Prenatal Stretches
- Walking and Curb Walking, multiple times everyday
- Squats and Lunges
- Acupuncture – Bosnar Health, Desiree Chester
- Chiropractor – Bosnar Health, Dr. Kristina Bosnar
- Massage Therapy – Bosnar Health, Desiree Sagragao
- Pelvic Floor Specialist – Durham Pelvic Health Physiotherapy (DPHP), Ana Whelan
- Nipple Stimulation – Breast Pump/Fingers
- Clearing Fear
- Membrane Sweep (form of induction, used as last resort at 41 weeks 2 days)
Third Trimester Recommendations and Tips – Must Haves
- Wedge Pillow – Baby Works Pregnancy Wedge with Bamboo Cover
- Exercise Ball – Everlast FIT Pro Grip Fitness Ball
- High-Rise Leggings – Lululemon Align Leggings
- Squatty Potty – Squatty Potty Stool, Single Pack, Foldable
- Moisturizer – Bio-Oil – this was just to keep my skin moisturized, not to necessarily prevent stretch marks (although some swear by it) & Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Cream For Stretch Marks – this in combination with the Bio-Oil was to keep my skin moisturized and to reduce the itching
- Epsom Salts – baths will be your friend, especially when in early labour
For more pregnancy-related content check out my posts below:
First Trimester Pregnancy Recap – Pregnancy Essentials & Helpful Tips for First Time Mom (FTM)
Second Trimester Pregnancy Recap – Pregnancy Essentials & Helpful Tips for First Time Mom (FTM)
If you have any questions about anything in this blog post or pregnancy related, feel free to leave a comment below!