Tropical Rum Punch (+ Non-Alcoholic Punch Recipe), it’s citrusy, it’s fruity, it feels like you’re on a tropical vacation with every sip! A combination of orange and pineapple juice, freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice, ginger, syrup and of course a good splash of rum, this is a must try summer cocktail recipe! Also includes a non-alcoholic punch mocktail recipe.
If you love a good tropical drink, you just have to try this Mango Scotch Bonnet Daiquiri next!
Table of Contents
Tropical Rum Punch
It’s not everyday we can fly out to a sunny tropical island destination, or have the luxury to live near the beachside. But, if you’re ever in the mood to experience paradise in a glass, this is the way to go! This rum punch cocktail uses common ingredients is simple and easy to make for any occasion!
You’ll Love this Recipe, Here’s Why:
- Scale Up or Down – this rum punch can easily be scaled up to punch bowl size to serve at large gatherings or down to a single serving to enjoy alone!
- The Perfect Crowd Pleasing Drink – this punch is sure to be a hit at your next party. Ensure everyone brings sleeping bags or calls the Uber ahead of time, because you won’t have just one glass!
- Kid Friendly Mocktail – simply swap the rum with ginger ale, for a kid-approved mocktail recipe.
What is Rum Punch?
Rum Punch is a fruity blend of orange and pineapple juice, freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice, ginger, syrup and a good helping of rum! There are many different variations of Caribbean Rum Punch as every island adds its own flavours and uniqueness to the drink.
It is said that the origins of rum punch lays in the 16th century when English/British sailors who worked for the British East India Company would have rancid flat beer towards the end of the voyages.
This is where rum punch is said to be born, they created punch out of Indian arrack and other ingredients such as fruit and fruit juices which were easily accessible on the islands.
What Does Rum Punch Taste Like?
Rum punch tastes like a well balanced citrusy, fruity, sweet and strong chilled tropical beverage. It will bring out your inner warm island sensations and transport you beachside with just one sip!
Ingredient List and Ingredient Notes
Orange Juice – this is the base of the drink. If you can find fresh squeezed orange juice even better, however, store-bought works just as well!
Pineapple Juice – don’t skip this, it adds the perfect balance to the citrus from the orange juice.
Fresh Lemon Juice – this helps to cut the sweetness as well as take away from the harsh kick from the rum.
Fresh Lime Juice – helps to mellow out the flavours of the sweetness and the rum.
Grenadine – alternatively you can use strawberry or fruit punch syrup.
White Rum – if you can get your hands on Wray & Nephew or Captain Morgan, this will work extremely well.
Brown Rum – my recommendation is to use Appleton or Bacardi.
Fresh Ginger – I love the balance the ginger brings to this drink, especially as it sits to chill.
Ginger Ale – if looking to make a mocktail or kid-friendly punch, omit the white and brown rum, and add in ginger ale.
Garnishes – use citrus slices (orange, lime, lemon), pineapple chunks, strawberries, maraschino cherries etc.
Other Caribbean Cocktail Recipes You’ll Enjoy!
Mango Scotch Bonnet Daiquiri & Jamaican Carrot Juice with Stout (Boiling Method)
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located near the top of the recipe card below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful!
Also, don’t forget to keep up with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Tropical Rum Punch (+ Non-Alcoholic Punch Recipe)
- Large Pitcher
- 3 cups Orange Juice
- 3 cups Pineapple Juice
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/2 cup Grenadine strawberry or fruit punch syrup
- 1/4 cup White Rum i.e. wray & nephew or captain morgan
- 1/2 cup Brown Rum i.e. appleton or bacardi
- 1 -2 tsp Fresh Ginger grated
- 1 cup Ginger Ale omit white and dark rum from above
- 1/2 Orange sliced
- 1 Lime sliced
- 1/2 Lemon sliced
- 1/2 cup Pineapple Chunks optional
- 1/2 cup Maraschino Cherries
- In a pitcher, combine the orange juice, pineapple juice, lemon and lime juice, grenadine or syrup, both white and dark rum, and ginger.
- Stir until combined then pour into ice-filled glasses and serve with a combination of citrus slices, pineapple chunks, maraschino cherries, and enjoy!