One of the simplest of salads, with the freshest ingredients! Tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onions, tossed in a homemade vinaigrette, topped with crumbled feta – it’s the perfect way to indulge in your favourite summer veggies!
I mentioned in a recent post on my IG page (click here) that salads were my thing! As I write this blog, I’m currently munching down on one! There’s just something about it’s freshness, and versatility that never gets old! It is also quite fitting that I’ve scheduled this recipe to go live today, as my husband and I were set to be on a flight destined for Athens, Greece! Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 we will have to reschedule our European adventures – it’s a little upsetting, but I’m far more grateful for life, and health! So, as a way to bring a little Greek cuisine into our home, I’ll be sharing this fave recipe of mine – Greek Salad!
Table of Contents
Recipe Tips and Notes
There aren’t many variations to Greek salad – it’s base traditionally consists of cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, and Feta. However, as most things – ingredients can be substituted, reduced or omitted. For example, if you aren’t a fan of feta – you can substitute for another kind of cheese, reduce the amount, or simply omit.
Add in a Protein – If you want to make this a full meal, add in some chicken, or steak.
Serve on bed of Lettuce – You can also toss this Greek salad onto a bed of lettuce.
Mix in the Pasta – If you’ve never tried a Greek Pasta salad – you’re missing out! Cook up some pasta, allow to cool, mix in the Greek Salad, chill in refrigerator and serve!
Success Tips – you want to remove the seeds from the cucumbers and tomatoes – especially if wanting to save some for the following day. Leaving them in will add excess moisture to the salad – causing your salad to become soggy.
Greek Salad & Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Greek Salad
- 1 Cucumber seeded and sliced
- 2 Tomatoes seeded and sliced
- 1 small Red Onion sliced
- ¼ cup Kalamata Olives
- ¼ cup Feta Cheese crumbled
- ½ tsp Salt more to taste
- Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar see notes sections
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice see notes sections
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Salt more to taste – if using vinaigrette below omit
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Feta Cheese crumbled more to taste optional
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, black pepper, and feta cheese (optional), in a small mixing bowl; set aside (see notes sections).
- Chop and slice the cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and olives (optional), assemble in a large serving bowl.
- Pour vinaigrette dressing on top, and gently toss to combine.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese, and serve immediately!