Healthy Hearty Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup is a one pot tomato-based soup recipe made with Italian sausage, sauteed onions, and garlic, chunky tomatoes, cheese tortellini and loaded with hearty vegetables like carrots, celery and kale. Serve for a healthy and warming winter lunch or dinner with a garnish of fresh parmesan and rustic whole wheat bread. Recipe also includes a step-by-step video for easy follow-along, as well as make-ahead and how to freeze tips!
Table of Contents
Healthy Hearty Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup Recipe
This healthy, hearty full of flavour and loaded with a good dose of chunky vegetables soup is perfect for chilly, cold fall and winter days! It’s a warming, one pot, easy to make Italian soup recipe that is ready in under an hour. You can serve this soup on it’s own or pair it with a warm rustic bread, or a salad an make it a meal! Here are some other reasons why you’ll fall in love with this soup:
- Perfect way to use up on hand vegetables in the fridge
- Easy to make and ready in under an hour
- Many variations to make this soup yours i.e. add cream to make it a creamier tomato based soup
- Garnish how you like, with fresh parsley or basil, fresh parmesan, red chili flakes etc.
What is Tortellini?
Tortellini is a type of pasta. The pasta is formed with either round or square pasta wrapper then shaped and stuffed with either a cheese based or meat based filling.
Difference between Tortellini and Cappelletti Pasta
The two are very similar and often confused. The difference is Cappelletti are made from square pasta wrappers and Tortellini are made from circle pasta wrappers. They are both stuffed with a cheese or meat based filling, and used in very similar or the same dishes.
How to Make Healthy Hearty Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup Recipe
- Cook the Italian Sausage – heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add italian sausage and cook until until browned, stirring occasionally. Once done, drain the excess fat (reserving about 1 tbsp in pot). Remove sausage from stockpot; set aside.
- Saute Vegetables – deglaze the stockpot with 1 tbsp chicken stock if needed. Add carrots, onion, celery and saute for about 1-2 minutes, then add garlic and continue to saute until soften and fragrant, about another 1-2 minutes.
- Make Soup Base – stir in diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce, chicken (or vegetable) broth, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low, and cover. Let soup simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Add Sausage, Tortellini and Kale – add sausage, tortellini and kale and simmer for around 12-15 minutes, or until pasta tender. Serve with garnish of shredded parmesan/parmigiano cheese and red chili pepper flakes as desired.
Serve Tortellini Soup with:
- Warm crusty or rustic bread
- Fresh Garden Salad
- Garlic Bread
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Regardless of how you serve up this oh so comforting Healthy Hearty Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup, it’s bound to be a hit!
Watch How Easy it is to Make Tortellini Soup (Step-by-Step Recipe Video)
Healthy Hearty Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup Tips & Tricks
- Substitute Kale with Spinach – if your preference is more in favour of something green and nutrient packed but just not kale.
- Deglaze Stockpot – Add about a tbsp of chicken stock to the stockpot after cooking italian sausage to loosen the browned sausage bits stuck to the bottom. This is a source of immense flavor and perfect for taking this soup up a notch!
- Cut Vegetables the same Size – roughly chop and prepare the vegetables around the same bite-size pieces. This helps the vegetables to cook consistently.
- Add Vegetables in Stages – if adding in additional veggies, start with vegetables like carrots and onions first, then add softer vegetables like zucchini, spinach etc. towards the end.
How to Make-Ahead Tortellini Soup
It’s best to prepare this soup the day you intend on serving as the tortellini will naturally soak up much of the broth when left for an extended period of time. However, if you want to save some time the day of try these tips:
- Wash and Chop Veggies – prepare your vegetables a day ahead, to save time on the day. Be sure you store the chopped veggies – celery, onions, carrots in an airtight container to preserve freshness.
- Set Out Equipment and Ingredients – leave out everything you need to prepare the soup the day before so it is easily accessible on the day. For example, leave the stockpot on the stove, put your room-temp ingredients on the counter so you are ready to go the next day.
Can You Freeze Healthy Tortellini Soup?
Yes! You can totally freeze the soup WITHOUT the tortellini. Like most soups, this soup freezes very well. However, pasta does not. It will become very mushy as the soup thaws, as such I do not recommend freezing the entire pot of soup. Store in an airtight freezer bag or container then thaw in fridge overnight and reheat soup adding in fresh tortellini.
How to Store and Reheating Healthy Tortellini Soup
Store leftover tortellini soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. Reheat on the stovetop over low to medium heat. Like most pasta soups, tortellini will continue to absorb the soup broth as it rests whether on the stove while it cools or as leftovers in the fridge. So, your tortellini may become “mushy” when reheated. I recommend storing separately, or making a fresh batch of tortellini separately the next day.
Healthy Hearty Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup Recipe Variations
There are many variations to this recipe, here are some ideas:
- Make it vegetarian but omitting the italian sausage and adding more veggies like zucchini and spinach
- Add ground beef or pre-cooked chicken instead of italian sausage
- Substitute the kale for iron-rich spinach
- Spice it up by using hot italian sausage, adding hot peppers or hot sauce, and using red chili pepper flakes
- Add a cup of cream, to make this a creamy tortellini soup
And for more delicious healthy soup recipes, try these:
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located near the top of the recipe card below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful!
Healthy Hearty Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 5 Mild Italian Sausage or hot, casing removed and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Carrots medium, chopped
- 1/2 Onion large, =diced
- 2 Stalks Celery chopped
- 5 Cloves Garlic minced
- 3 1/2 cups Diced Tomatoes
- 3 cups Tomato Sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups Chicken Broth or vegetable stock, +1 tbsp, more to thin soup if needed
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning or equal parts basil, oregano, and thyme
- 1/4 tsp Salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 cups Raw Kale chopped
- 400 g Cheese Tortellini
- Shredded Parmigiano Cheese for garnish
- Red Chili Pepper Flakes as desired
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add italian sausage and cook until until browned, stirring occasionally. Once done, drain the excess fat (reserving about 1 tbsp in pot). Remove sausage from stockpot; set aside.
- Deglaze the stockpot with 1 tbsp chicken stock if needed. Add carrots, onion, celery and saute for about 1-2 minutes, then add garlic and continue to saute until soften and fragrant, about another 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes, chicken (or vegetable) broth, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low, and cover. Let soup simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Add sausage, tortellini and kale and simmer for around 12-15 minutes, or until pasta tender. Add additional stock if needed to thin soup to your desired preference. Serve with a garnish of shredded parmesan/parmigiano cheese and red chili pepper flakes.