Italian Wedding Soup, this flavourful broth based soup is loaded with the tastiest bite-sized meatballs, veggies, greens and Acini de Pepe pasta! It’s the perfect soup for when you want a simple, quick and easy bowl of something warm and cozy. Serve as an appetizer, for lunch or apart of the main with butter toasted crusty bread!
Table of Contents
How to Make Italian Wedding Soup
Start by preparing your meatballs, then browning them in a large stockpot. Remove from pot and set aside.
Next, saute your vegetables then add chicken broth, italian seasoning, and parsley flakes to the pot and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat add in meatballs and allow to simmer until meatballs cooked through; around 10 minutes. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. 2 minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the spinach and boil until wilted.
Lastly, stir in spinach then serve with a garnish of fresh parsley and parmesan cheese!
Tips for Making Italian Wedding Soup
- For the greens, substitute for kale, escarole, endive or cabbage instead of the spinach.
- Don’t underestimate the petite look of the Acini de Pepe pasta. It will expand once fully cooked.
- Brown your meats in the stockpot first! This enhances the flavours, don’t skip this step.
- This recipe is great for leftover lunch the next day. Refrigerate in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Traditionally the recipe calls for beef and pork for the meatballs, but you could use all beef or even ground turkey or chicken
Grab the Italian Wedding Soup Grocery List (Screenshot The Recipe Ingredients Below)!
- Olive Oil
- Ground Beef
- Ground Pork
- Plain Bread Crumbs
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Italian Seasoning (Oregano, Basil, Thyme)
- Dried Parsley Flakes
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper & Salt
- Chicken Broth
- Acini de Pepe or Orzo Pasta
- Baby Spinach Leaves
- Fresh Chopped Parsley, optional
Check Out these Other Soup Recipes
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located near the top of the recipe card below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful!
Italian Wedding Soup
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound Ground Beef
- 1/2 pound Ground Pork
- 1 Onion small, grated
- 1/4 cup Bread Crumbs plain
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 1 Egg whisked
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning Oregano, Basil, Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt more or less to taste
Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 Onion medium, diced
- 2 Carrots diced
- 2 stalks Celery diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 10 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup Acini de Pepe or orzo pasta
- 4 cups Baby Spinach Leaves
- Salt & Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste
- Fresh Chopped Parsley optional, for garnish
- Fresh Parmesan Cheese optional, for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, ground pork, onion, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, whisked egg, italian seasoning, parsley flakes, black pepper and salt. Gently mix together with hands until combined – be sure not to overwork your meat. Shape into 1/2 inch or 9g bite-sized meatballs. Set each aside on a large baking sheet, or plate.
- Add olive oil to a large stockpot and heat over medium-high. Working in batches, brown the meatballs for 2 -3 minutes, flipping at the halfway point – meatballs do not need to be cooked through, they will finish cooking in the soup. Remove the meatballs, and set aside.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the pot and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until softened and fragrant, then add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add chicken broth, italian seasoning, and parsley flakes to the pot and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat add in meatballs and allow to simmer until meatballs cooked through; around 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. 2 minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the spinach and boil until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste, serve, and garnish with fresh parsley and parmesan.