With good reason, quinoa has quickly made its way to the top of the grocery list for many! This superfood, or supergrain as others may call it, is packed with protein, fibre and an array of vitamins and minerals!
What Is Quinoa?
Technically speaking, quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a seed, not a grain. It is gluten-free, vegan friendly, mineral-rich, high in fibre and extremely easy to cook! Quinoa acts as a whole-grain even though it comes from a tall, green, weed-like plant. For additional information on how it is grown, check out this article from the Huffington Post.
Quinoa Quick Facts
- Complete protein
- High in iron, magnesium, and fibre
- Great for the digestive system & metabolic health
- Low glycemic index which means it’s great for blood sugar control
- Always rinse quinoa. This removes that bitter, “soapy” taste quinoa can have that’s caused by naturally occurring saponins.
- Use twice as much water or broth as quinoa – a 2:1 ratio. For example, if you use 1 cup of quinoa, use 2 cups of water or broth.
- Cook uncovered until your quinoa has absorbed all the water/broth, then remove from heat and cover for a few more minutes (this allows the quinoa to steam). You’ll know the quinoa is ready to eat when it pops and appears fluffy!