Spinach, four types of cheese, a beautiful tasty blend of seasoning baked in the oven until blended into a cheesy, yummy bowl of goodness, and served with warm pieces of pita bread. You, your family, and your guests will absolutely love it.
I must admit, one of the hardest parts of this pandemic is not being with family, friends, and loved ones – especially in the summer! The hubs and I love entertaining, and being surrounded by people that bring you joy, with good eats, drinks, and laughter is EVERYTHING! One of our favourite apps to serve up is this absolutely delicious cheesy, warm, spinach dip – it always hits the spot! I can guarantee it will be a hit in your home, with you and your loved ones!
Recipe Tips and Notes
Tthe Spinach – this recipe calls for frozen spinach that has been thawed, rinsed, and drained. A key tip is to ensure all the excess moisture has been removed from the spinach. You can use a paper towel, or a cheese cloth to squeeze and drain out all the liquid. You can also use freshly cooked spinach, following the same procedure of wringing out all the excess liquid as well.
The Cheese – I personally love the flavour and cheesy goodness of cream cheese, medium cheddar, and a parmesan/romano blend for this recipe. However, it must be noted that Romano has a sharp, piquant flavour – as such you may want use less of this cheese or you run the risk of it overpowering the flavours of the others.
Other Additions – this recipe is amazing with additional add-ins like artichokes, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes. On their own they literally give this recipe a whole different meaning! Add in about a half cup of chopped artichoke or mushrooms, or a quarter of a cup of sun-dried tomatoes and you are good to go. Just to avoid confusion – you add in 1 of the 3 options, not all 3 together.
Pairs particularly well with pieces of warmed pita bread and crostini or crackers, your favourite bread, or veggies (broccoli, bell peppers, cauliflower).
Creamy Spinach Dip
- 340 g Frozen Chopped Spinach thawed rinsed, drained
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 230 grams Cream Cheese softened
- ½ cup Fresh Grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup Fresh Grated Romano Cheese
- 1 cup Medium Cheddar shredded divided
- 1/3 cup Sweet Red Pepper
- 1 stalk Green Onion chopped
- 1 tbsp White Onions minced
- 1 tbsp Garlic minced
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper or more to taste
- ½ tsp Salt or more to taste
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Pita for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together cream cheese, ½ cup medium cheddar, parmesan, romano and garlic powder. Stir until combined.
- Add in sweet red pepper, green onion, white onions, and fresh garlic, stir to combined.
- Season mixture with cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper, stir until incorporated.
- Add spinach and mix in well.
- Transfer to an oven-safe dish, ensuring an even spread. Top with ½ cup medium cheddar, and sprinkle with a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Cut each pita bread into wedges. Place on baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until golden along the edges.
- Bake spinach dip for 15 to 18 minutes, or until cheeses melted, and bubbling around the edges.
- Remove from oven, serve warm and enjoy!
Note, the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.