Indulge in the savoury flavours of sun-dried tomatoes, spinach and cheese with this amazing chicken dish! It’s a 30-minute meal you won’t regret!
Tips & a Few Notes
This is yet another super quick and easy dish to make. You’ll get a great mix of flavours from the juicy chicken breast, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach and cheese…yum! In our household, we purchase some of our meats in bulk which we season, freeze and pull as needed. This not only helps us with our mid-week dishes, but it makes more flavourful meats because the longer it marinates, the richer the flavour! This isn’t necessary for all meats and dishes, but it worked out well for this one!
How to Keep Chicken Breasts Moist
- Use a marinade
- Make a quick brine
- Pound the chicken
- Avoid overcooking – the safe internal temperature for cooked chicken is 165°F (75°C)
Here are a few additional tips before we get started:
- Use a sharp knife with a tip when creating the pocket, but be careful not to slice the chicken breast fully in half!
- You want to ensure your pocket is deep enough to hold whatever you are stuffing your chicken breasts with. Use the tip of your knife to make a slit at the thickest part of the breast. Carefully make it deeper and wider as you go along horizontally. On the flip side, you do not want your pocket too large so the filling falls out during cooking. So take your time and handle with care.
- You want to ensure your breasts are on the larger side (easier to stuff), and fairly equal in size. This helps ensure the chicken is cooked thoroughly, for the same amount of time.
- Use toothpicks to keep your fillings inside! Note: you may need to remove those same toothpicks when pan-searing.
- This dish pairs well with a saucy pasta!
Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes Stuffed Chicken
- 4 Large Chicken Breasts
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 – 3 cups Baby Spinach
- 4 tbsp Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Salt more or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper more or less to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prep your stuffing ingredients. Shred the mozzarella cheese. Rinse and dry the baby spinach. Mince some fresh garlic. Cut up your sun-dried tomatoes.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, carefully make a pocket into your chicken breast.
- Season the chicken, inside and out, with Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper.
- Layer the inside pockets of your chicken with the minced garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and spinach. Secure the opening with toothpicks if needed.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Pan-sear the chicken on both sides for 3-4 minutes each, or until golden brown.
- Remove the cast iron pan or skillet from the stovetop and place it in the oven until the chicken breasts are fully cooked (10-15 minutes). Time varies depending on the size of the breast.
- Remove from the oven, and enjoy!
Note, the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.