Brown Sugar Cinnamon French Toast is your classic french toast breakfast or brunch recipe with the perfect blend and balance of warm spices and brown sugar! This recipe comes together in no time making it perfect for breakfast and brunch during busy weekday mornings, on the weekends and definitely the holidays! Recipe includes easy step-by-step recipe video and is sure to be a hit for all!
Interested in more breakfast and brunch recipes? You’ve got to try out this Strawberries and Cream French Toast Bake and this Light and Fluffy Churro Waffles! Oh, there’s also these Gluten Free Banana Oat Protein Pancakes that are sure to be a hit!
Table of Contents
Brown Sugar Cinnamon French Toast
Breakfast has never really been my thing, brunch however I can get with. I think it might be because growing up, it was the one meal of the day that was not up for debate – I had to have it, even if I didn’t want it. But then again, isn’t that every meal as a child? Anyways, as I got older I started to grow a fond obsession with the intersection of breakfast and lunch foods. Since this discovery it’s always been my happy place – brunch recipes!
This Brown Sugar French Toast Recipe is definitely one you will want to bookmark and save to make for breakfast or brunch! It features light and fluffy brioche bread slices dipped in a delicious brown sugar cinnamon egg custard and fried until a sweet caramelized crust is formed! It’s simply divine, and a must try.
You’ll Love this French Toast Recipe and Here’s Why:
- Easy Common Ingredients – requires simple ingredients that you most likely already have on hand.
- Countless Topping Options – the toppings are endless. Try maple syrup, honey, strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream etc.
- Ready in Less than 20 Minutes – comes together so quick making it perfect for a weekend or holiday brunch recipe.
- Versatile – you have many options for the type of bread, milk, sweetener you want to use for the recipe, see below.
Looking for More Breakfast or Brunch Recipes? Check These Out…
What Are the Ingredients for Brown Sugar Cinnamon French Toast
- Brioche or French Bread – use a thicker slice of bread that will hold up well, brioche is the most common.
- Eggs – use 5 large whole eggs for the perfect richness in your custard base
- Cream or Milk – you can use your favourite milk or milk alternative in this recipe, any kind will do.
- Brown Sugar – for sweetness and gives a nice caramel flavour and golden crust to the toast
- Pure Vanilla Extract – for added flavour
- Ground Cinnamon & Nutmeg – the perfect spice blend for this recipe
- Salt – to balance the sweetness
- Butter – use this to grease the skillet, griddle or pan you are cooking the french toasts in
- Toppings – strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream, maple syrup, confectioners/icing sugar etc., as desired
What Bread to Use for French Toast
Use a unsliced sturdy loaf to make french toast. Reason being, whichever bread you choose needs to withstand soaking up the egg and milk mixture without falling apart.
I recommend a Brioche loaf, however, these can be hard to find unsliced in your local grocery store. Some other alternatives would be loaf of challah, Pullman or Wonder sandwich bread or french bread – unsliced so you can cut the slices as thick as you’d like.
- Brioche bread
- Challah bread
- Sourdough bread
- French bread
- Sandwich bread
What Milk to Use for French Toast
You may use whichever milk you prefer, I personally used Silk Half & Half Dairy-Free Cream for this recipe. However, you can opt for 2%, whole, skim etc.
- Heavy Cream
- Half and Half
- Whole Milk
- Skim Milk
- Dairy-Free Milk – coconut, almond, oat, cashew, etc.
What Sweeteners to Use for French Toast
This recipe calls for brown sugar as the sweetner, however there are many other options you can explore as well. For example, you can go the vegan/vegetarian route and use maple syrup, the keto/low carb option and use Swerve brown sugar replacement, or other options such as granulated white sugar and honey.
- Confectioners Sugar
- Granulated White Sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Coconut Sugar
- Cane Sugar
How to Make Brown Sugar Cinnamon French Toast
1. Combine Ingredients in Shallow Bowl – in a large shallow dish, add eggs, milk or cream, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whisk well to combine.
2. Preheat Pan– Over medium-low heat, preheat a non-stick skillet or pan, then lightly grease with butter or cooking oil, spreading evenly over the surface of the skillet or pan.
3. Dip Bread – dip one slice of bread into the egg mixture, allow to soak for 2-3 seconds then flip and dip the other side, soaking again for another 2-3 seconds (do not completely drench the bread).
4. Add Slice to Pan – place slice of bread into the skillet or pan and fry until golden brown — around 2 to 4 minutes, then flip and repeat. Work in batches if needed and do not overcrowd the skillet or pan.
5. Repeat & Top – repeat process with remaining bread slices, then remove and allow to rest on a cooling rack. Serve warm with desired toppings – blueberries, strawberries, whipped cream, maple syrup, confectioners sugar etc.
See My Story Below for Step-by-Step Instructions
Do You Use Butter or Oil for French Toast?
When ready to add your french toast to the hot skillet or pan, use a combination of a neutral oil and butter. This helps with preventing the butter from burning, and helps to get the crisp golden edges we all want. Be sure to wipe out all browned and burnt bits from the skillet or pan after every batch.
What Spices to Use in French Toast?
Use a combination of ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Feel free to add more or less, depending on your taste preferences.
Recipe Variations & Substitutions
This classic french toast is great on it’s own, however the options are great to how you can change up this recipe to suit your personal preferences. The options to swap out your bread, milk and sweetener are listed above but here they are again:
Milk: use cream, milk, or non-dairy nut milk options.
Bread: use bread that has some density to it, or ability to absorb some of the custard such as sandwich bread, french or brioche.
Sweetener: choose between keto or low carb sugar replacements, vegan/vegetarian options or common sweeteners like honey, and granulated sugar.
What to Serve with French Toast
- Scrambled Eggs
- Fresh Fruit
- Serve while Hot and Fresh – or keep warm in oven until ready to serve, but no longer than about 20 minutes.
- Best Served with Fresh Seasonal Fruits – fresh berries like strawberries and blueberries are my personal favourite.
French Toast Topping Ideas
- Syrup – maple, agave, cane
- Fresh Fruit – bananas, blueberries, strawberries
- Cooked Fruit – grilled peaches or caramelized bananas
- Whipped Cream – dairy or non-dairy
- Chocolate Spread – nutella, hazelnut
- Peanut Butter or Favourite Nut Butter – almond, cashew, hazelnut
- Go Savoury – bacon, ham and cheese
- Cream Cheese
- Nuts – Almond Slivers, Pistachios, Walnuts
How to Prep Ahead
You can make ahead this recipe from the day prior by combining the ingredients for the french toast custard and place into an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 24 hours. When ready to cook, whisk the custard until well combined and proceed with the recipe as written.
How to Store Leftover French Toast
Refrigerator Storage – cover french toast slices tightly with plastic wrap or place in ziploc bag to prevent drying out and place in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Freezer Method – to freeze, wrap each french toast slice tightly in plastic wrap or place a sheet of wax paper between each slice of french toast, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Alternatively, you can place each slice in a ziploc freezer bag.
To reheat french toast, you can do so in the oven, on stovetop or toaster.
- Oven Method – preheat oven to 350º F and place slices of french toast in a single layer on a baking sheet and cover with foil. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until heated through.
- Toaster Method – reheat in a toaster oven until heated throughout.
- Stovetop Method – heat a nonstick over pan medium heat. Place slices of french toast in the pan for 5 to 8 minutes or until heated through flipping at the halfway point.
- Microwave Method – lay a damp paper towel over a single slice of french toast and place in the microwave, heat in short 15 to 30 second bursts until heated through.
Recipe Notes & Tips for Success
- Choose the Right Bread – thick slices of brioche, challah, or french bread are all great choices.
- The Right Amount of Milk – add the correct ratio of milk to the custard. If there’s too much milk, the egg in the mixture won’t cook, meaning wet, soggy french toast.
- Whisk Well – whisk the custard until the milk, eggs, and spices are well combined.
- Quick Dip – If you leave your bread in the mixture for an extended amount of time, it will absorb more liquid and take longer to cook through leading to a more dense french toast.
- Add Olive Oil & Butter – give the pan a light greasing of neutral oil and butter. This will help prevent the butter from burning.
- Preheat the Pan – this will help to prevent the custard from seeping out the bread and creating a ring along the edges.
- Medium-Low & Slow – ensure you set your stovetop temperature to medium-low no higher than medium to prevent your french toast from burning.
Add These Recipes to Your Breakfast or Brunch Spread
Strawberries and Cream French Toast Bake & Bourbon Peach Vanilla Spiced French Toast
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful and tasty!
Also, don’t forget to keep up with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Lastly, sign up to our monthly newsletter for all TSS updates straight to your inbox!
Brown Sugar Cinnamon French Toast
- Large Shallow Dish
- Non-Stick Skillet or Pan
- 7 Slices Brioche cut 3/4-inch to 1-inch thick
- 5 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk I used Silk Brand Dairy-Free Half & Half
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Strawberries, Blueberries, Whipped Cream, Maple Syrup, Confectioners/Icing Sugar etc. to serve
- In a large shallow dish, add eggs, milk or cream, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whisk well to combine. Over medium-low heat, preheat a non-stick skillet or pan, then lightly grease with butter or cooking oil, spreading evenly over the surface of the skillet or pan.
- Dip one slice of bread into the egg mixture, allow to soak for 2-3 seconds then flip and dip the other side, soaking again for another 2-3 seconds (do not completely drench the bread).
- Place slice of bread into the skillet or pan and fry until golden brown — around 2 to 4 minutes, then flip and repeat. Work in batches if needed and do not overcrowd the skillet or pan.
- Repeat process with remaining bread slices, then remove and allow to rest on a cooling rack. Serve warm with desired toppings – blueberries, strawberries, whipped cream, maple syrup, confectioners sugar etc.
OliveMarch 19, 2022 at 11:11 am
Perfect recipe for the family! We’ve made this recipe at least 5 times already. Just so yummy. thanks.
Taneisha MorrisMarch 19, 2022 at 11:13 am
Amazing! Comments like these just make my day! So glad you and the family enjoyed and continue to enjoy!