Crispy tofu with the perfect texture, your favourite fresh veggies, tossed in a yummy ginger garlic sauce nestled in a bed of warm sticky rice creating a mouth-watering, vegetarian friendly meal!
I’m not sure about you, but I love a good tofu dish! Back when I was a vegetarian for a period of time, I would love creating and trying new recipes with tofu. It’s so versatile, and quite easily takes on the flavour and taste of whatever you prepare it in. I know some don’t like tofu because of “the texture”, but it is quite possible (I’m actually 90% sure) it may not have been prepared well. There is a technique to prepare tofu, especially for first timers, that will not have you second guessing whether you like it, or not – are you interested? Let’s continue!
Table of Contents
Recipe Tips and Notes
Firm/Extra-Firm Block Tofu – this is the type of tofu you need to purchase and use for this recipe. You will find it refrigerated in your local grocery store, stored in a seal package in water.
Press your Tofu – you will need to press out the majority of the liquid from your tofu to create space for your sauce/marinade to be soaked up, it also aids in making your tofu get to that ideal crispness and texture. I recommend pressing for about 30min minimum – the longer the better. To do this, stack heavy items on top of your tofu i.e. cast iron pot, some thick books etc. to remove the liquid.
Garlic Ginger Tofu Stir Fry
- 1 Block Extra-Firm Tofu pressed
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce or Tamari
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch or Nutritional Yeast
- Ginger Garlic Sauce
- ¼ cup Honey
- ¼ cup Low Sodium Soya Sauce
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Ginger minced
- Stir Fry
- ½ large head Broccoli stem removed and chopped
- 1 Large Carrot peeled and julienned
- ½ large Sweet Onion sliced
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- Pinch Salt and Pepper
- Green Onions finely sliced for garnish
- Sesame Seeds toasted for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degree Fahrenheit.
- Remove tofu from packaging, discard remaining liquid. Slice into 3, length ways.
- Using a lint-free paper towel or clean dish cloth, carefully apply pressure to remove any additional liquid. You may also place something heavy, like a skillet on top for a few minutes, repeat when paper towel or dish cloth soaked through for at least 30min.
- Prepare veggies, and sauce and set aside.
- Cube tofu, and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of soya sauce, or tamari, and 2 tbsp of cornstarch or nutritional yeast.
- Place on baking sheet, bake in oven on 425 degree Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until crispy and golden brown, flipping halfway. Remove, set aside.
- In a pan or wok, add both oils and heat over medium high heat.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, onions and toss for about 2 – 4 minutes.
- Add in tofu and sauce. Stir until everything is well coated, allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with extra sesame seeds and chopped scallions. Serve hot with a cup of fresh rice and enjoy!