Kalbi (Korean BBQ Short Ribs) is a popular and traditional Korean barbecued beef ribs recipe that’s divinely delicious, so very easy to make, and full of flavour! Thinly sliced beef short ribs are marinated in a sweet savoury garlic soy mixture and grilled or broiled to a tender perfection! Make this delicious Korean BBQ dish in the comfort of your home for a quick and easy weeknight dinner, or enjoy on the grill all summer long! Serve with steamed white rice, veggies, or your favourite side dish!
Looking for more flavourful beef recipes? Check out my Easy Beef and Vegetable Stir-Fry, or my Easy Garlic Butter Steak Bites and these Cajun Butter Steak Bites for more quick and easy weeknight dinner inspo! But, if you’re looking for a recipes that has Caribbean island flare, try my Jamaican Oxtail Recipe!
Table of Contents
Kalbi (Korean BBQ Short Ribs)
I remember walking into a neighborhood sushi restaurant, and ordering Kalbi off the menu just to try. I never knew that was the day my life would change! Sounds crazy right? I know! But, I was so wowed by the overall flavour and taste of the dish. I knew that I needed to get home and learn to make it for myself.
I’ve always had a love for beef recipes. But not all beef recipes; they have to be the right cut, flavourful, tender with the perfect doneness. This kalbi recipe encompasses everything I love, and hopefully you do too! You no longer have to commute to a restaurant for this dish, but can have it hot and ready in the comfort of your home.
Here’s Why You’ll Love this Recipe?
- Marinated Deliciousness – don’t rush the marinating process, and your tastebuds will thank you! Marinate overnight, as the longer you marinate the more flavourful the meat.
- Flavourful – these thinly sliced beef short ribs are marinated in a delicious sweet savoury sauce, until deeply flavourful throughout!
- Quick and Easy – the marinade comes together extremely fast, and once the meat hits the grill or oven its ready in less than 10 minutes.
- Grill or Oven – you can make this recipe outside on the grill during the warm summer months, then take things indoor and cook in the oven on the broil setting.
What is Kalbi?
Kalbi is a Korean barbecued rib dish. It is a special cut beef short rib, often labelled Korean style short ribs or flanken. It is also known as galbi, which is Korean for “rib”.
Difference Between Kalbi and Galbi?
The terms kalbi and galbi are both used interchangeably, because they are referring to the same thing. Galbi is the Korean word for “rib”, however, it’s just another way to refer to Korean kalbi.
What’s the Difference Between Kalbi and Bulgogi?
Bulgogi is another very popular Korean beef dish. It’s made using thin slices of sirloin, ribeye, tenderloin or brisket that’s been marinated in a delicious sweet savoury sauce. Similar to Kalbi, both dishes use cuts of beef that are thinly sliced, have almost identical marinades, and cook relatively quick.
What Cut of Meat is Kalbi?
Kalbi refers to a strip of beef cut across the bone from the chuck end of the short ribs. Comparing to American or European cuts of short ribs, Korean short ribs are cut lengthwise across the rib bones (much thinner slice of meat, around 1/4 inch thickness).
What Does Kalbi Taste Like?
Marinated in a sweet savoury garlic soy sauce, Kalbi is has distinctively delicious flavours similar to Teriyaki and honey garlic. In my opinion, it’s much more tasty as the marinating process allows for the flavours to penetrate through every bit of the meat.
In regards to texture, it is similar to traditional beef short ribs, but thinner and tender.
The Kalbi Marinade
The marinade consists of ingredients such as soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, sesame seed oil and fruit, traditionally Asian pear. The pear is used as a tenderizers to break down the meat for a more enjoyable moment. However, nowadays various ingredients can be used to tenderize the meat.
TSS Tip: you can combine whole or large chunks of Asian pear, garlic, onion and ginger if using into a blender and pulse until smooth.
Ingredients and Ingredient Notes
- Korean Style Beef Short Ribs – may also be labelled Korean style short ribs, flanken style short ribs or galbi.
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce – make sure you use low sodium to avoid an overly salty final dish.
- Asian Pear – if you cannot find Asian pears, use an apple, kiwi, or pineapple, these are used to tenderize the meat.
- Brown Sugar – this adds the sweetness to the sweet savoury flavour of the marinade.
- Mirin – this is a sweet Japanese rice wine.
- Sesame Seed Oil –
- Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce – adds great spicy flavour, you can add less or more to taste.
- Garlic – minced.
- Green Onions – sliced, for garnish, optional.
- Other Optional Add-ins: grated onion, and ginger.
More Asian Inspired Recipes, You Need to Try!
Skillet Baked Hoisin Ginger (Mongolian) Meatballs & Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located near the top of the recipe card below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful!
Also, don’t forget to keep up with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Kalbi (Korean BBQ Short Ribs)
- 3 pounds Korean Style Beef Short Ribs
- 3/4 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Mirin
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seed Oil
- 1 tbsp Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce more to taste
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- Green Onions sliced, for garnish, optional
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ingredients for marinade: soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, sesame seed oil, sriracha hot chili sauce, and minced garlic.
- Using a large Ziploc bag or large rectangular glass dish with a lid, combine garlic soy sauce mixture and beef short ribs; marinate for 8 hours or overnight in refrigerator – see notes section below.
- If using a grill, preheat grill to medium high heat (if using oven, preheat broiler to high heat). Place short ribs on grill (or lined baking sheet fitted with a wired rack), discard remaining marinade and cook, flipping once, until desired doneness is reached; about 3-4 minutes on each side, depending on thickness.
- Remove from heat, garnish with sliced green onions, serve immediately and enjoy!
JenelleFebruary 9, 2023 at 8:47 pm
Household favorite! The pear def makes a difference. Trust the process,
Taneisha MorrisFebruary 14, 2023 at 6:40 pm
It definitely does!! So happy you enjoyed!!