Quick & Easy Cheddar Old Bay Biscuits, as the name suggest these copycat Red Lobster biscuits are ready from start to serve in just 20 minutes – quick, easy, and irresistible! They are a delicious biscuit bundle of buttery, cheesy and garlicky goodness; a definite crowd pleaser that friends and family will enjoy! Serve as a side dish or appetizer.
What are Cheddar Bay Biscuits?
They are a delicious and well known biscuit appetizer served at the Red Lobster restaurant chain. They are a delightful combination of a traditional light and fluffy biscuit with cheddar cheese, garlic, and herby flavor. To be honest, they are just so darn good, and make an amazing appetizer, side or snack!
How to Make Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits from Scratch?
Prep – Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.
Dry Ingredients – In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, granulated white sugar, garlic powder, old bay seasoning, salt, and cayenne pepper, whisk together until well combined.
Wet Ingredients – In another medium bowl whisk together buttermilk and butter.
Combine the Wet & Dry Ingredients – Add the buttermilk butter mixture to the dry ingredients, and gently mix until wet ingredients have been absorbed and dough moist – do not over mix. Scoop out 3tbsp – 1/4 cup heapings of dough and place on prepared sheet.
Bake – Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown.
Make Herb & Garlic Butter – melt butter in a medium microwave safe dish. Then add fresh parsley, and garlic powder, mix until well combined and set aside.
Remove from Oven & Brush On Herb & Garlic Butter – remove biscuits from oven and immediately brush on the Herb & Garlic Butter mixture and serve!
Quick & Easy Cheddar Old Bay Biscuits Tips
How to Get Light & Flaky Biscuits
DO NOT OVERMIX THE DOUGH! This is the number one mistake many make, when making biscuits. To get light, fluffy, flaky biscuits that are moist – do not overmix the dough. Gently mixed just until the dry/wet ingredients have been incorporated.
How to Store & Reheat Cheddar Old Bay Biscuits
Store these biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to reheat, preheat oven to 350 degrees and heat for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. You can reheat in the microwave, however it does not yield the same results.
- Buy block cheese and shred yourself. Pre-shredded cheese have a starchy coating to prevent each piece from sticking together. It’s not a must, but just yields a cheesier, more moist biscuit.
- These biscuits are best served warm
What to Serve Quick & Easy Cheddar Old Bay Biscuits With
You can serve these biscuits as an appetizer, snack or side. You can also serve these savoury biscuits at a brunch time feast, click here for a list of recipes.
How to Make Buttermilk from Scratch
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make it yourself at home using milk and lemon juice or vinegar. Add 1 tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of room temperature milk. Mix together and let sit for 5 minutes. This will allow the milk to slightly curdle, and give it a more buttermilk-like texture and taste.
Grab the Grocery List (Screenshot The Recipe Ingredients Below)!
All Purpose Flour
Granulated White Sugar
McCormick Old Bay Seasoning
Old/Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Other Appetizer & Starter Recipes to Try
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located near the top of the recipe card below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful!
Quick & Easy Cheddar Old Bay Biscuits
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Granulated White Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter melted
- 1 1/2 cup Old/Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
Garlic Herb Butter
- 1/4 cup Salted Butter melted
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degree Fahrenheit, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside. Then, melt butter in a microwave safe dish, set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, granulated white sugar, garlic powder, old bay seasoning, salt, and cayenne pepper, whisk together until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk and butter. Add the buttermilk butter mixture to the dry ingredients, and gently mix until wet ingredients have been absorbed and dough moist – do not over mix. The dough will NOT be smooth, this is what you want – thick, sticky, clumpy. Then fold in the cheese.
- Using 3 tablespoons to a 1/4 cup of dough, drop heaping spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown.
- In the meantime, melt butter in a medium microwave safe dish. Then add fresh parsley, and garlic powder, mix until combined and set aside. Remove biscuits from oven, brush with prepared garlic herb butter and enjoy!
Note, the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.