Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich is a your classic crispy chicken sandwich recipe served on a buttery toasted brioche bun, topped with a creamy kale coleslaw, spicy mayo and a pickle! It’s one of the crunchiest most flavourful fried chicken sandwiches with a tender juicy brined center. Skip the lines at your favourite fast food restaurant and try this version in the comfort of your home!
Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich
I’m usually a beef burger kinda gal – but once I get a hold of a good chicken sandwich, you’ve got me! Now if you add spice..a little kick of heat, you’ve really got me sold! The creamy kale coleslaw helps to balance and compliment the heat from the spicy mayo – which of course is optional, and the pickle provides a good tang that sets this sandwich off!
Trust & believe you can prepare a better homemade chicken sandwich in the comfort of your home than standing in any line at one of those fast food restaurants!
Here are some other reasons why I love this Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich:
- It’s an indulgent, delicious and flavorful chicken recipe that can be used in a variety of ways – on a bun, salad or in a wrap.
- Great recipe to make at home and skip the lines at your favorite fast food restaurant!
- Perfect recipe to make for a crowd – tried, true and tested!
Looking for More Chicken Recipes? Check These Out…
Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich Ingredients
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
Cayenne Pepper, Sriracha Seasoning or Hot Sauce
Chicken/Poultry Seasoning, Seasoning Salt or Salt
Cajun or Creole Seasoning
Coleslaw Blend – Red and Green Cabbage, Carrots and I also used Kale
Granulated White Sugar
Sriracha or Hot Sauce
How to Make Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich
1. Make Buttermilk Brine for Chicken – in a airtight, leak proof bag (Ziploc), combine the buttermilk marinade ingredients. Toss in the chicken breasts in the marinade to coat and marinate for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator, or for best results, overnight.
2. Make Seasoned Flour Mixture – in a large bowl, combine the flour mixture ingredients and mix until well combined.
3. Mix Together Buttermilk Egg Wash – in a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup of fresh buttermilk (do not use the same buttermilk marinade – may become too salty), the egg, and a tablespoon of hot sauce.
4. Dip & Dredge Chicken Breasts – remove one marinated chicken breast from the bag, shake off excess liquid, and dip both sides in the seasoned flour mixture until the chicken is completely covered, then dip in buttermilk/egg wash and then back in the flour mixture – shake off excess flour, rest on wire rack, repeat until finished.
5. Fry Chicken Breasts – in a dutch oven pot or skillet, heat oil to around 365 – 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Fry the chicken breasts in batches, do not overcrowd the pot. Once golden brown with an internal temp of 160 degree Fahrenheit (the temp will climb to about 165 after removing), remove and place on clean wire cooling rack.
6. Make Creamy Coleslaw & Spicy Mayo – in a medium bowl, combine coleslaw ingredients and set aside. In another small bowl combine spicy mayo ingredients and set aside.
7. Build Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich – butter and toast your brioche buns, then add your chicken, coleslaw, pickles and good dollop of spicy mayo. Serve warm & enjoy!
Tips and Notes for Making the Best Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Marinate Chicken Breast in Buttermilk Brine – the buttermilk acts as a brine and as opposed to other more acidic marinades, it helps to tenderize the chicken without toughening up the meat – especially when marinating overnight. Buttermilk also helps the batter mixture stick to the chicken better for a more crispy, more flavour finish.
- Pound Chicken Breasts Even – use boneless, skinless chicken breasts and ensure you pound it to an even thickness before cooking. This will allow your chicken to cook evenly. To do this, place the chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap or inside a freezer bag and carefully pound with a meat mallet, a pot or can to an even thickness.
- Bring Chicken to Room Temperature – before cooking, allow your chicken to sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes or until the chill comes off to prevent from drying out as well as to allow the chicken to cook more evenly.
- Use a Thermometer to Check Doneness – use an instant-read thermometer for sure way to know whether your chicken is fully cooked. This will ensure you have a perfectly tender, juicy and cooked through chicken every time. Chicken with an internal temperature of 165 degrees is done, however you will want to remove from heat around 160 degrees as it will continue to rise as it rests.
- Use a Wired Rack to Drain/Rest Chicken – drain or rest fried chicken on a wire rack set over a baking sheet to allow air to circulate as opposed to draining on paper towels. Draining on paper towels will trap steam and the crust will soften and become soggy.
How to Get Flavourful, Extra Crispy Fried Chicken
- Marinate chicken in a buttermilk brine for at minimum 4 hours
- Be generous with your seasoning for the flour mixture and buttermilk/egg wash
- Double dredge (flour coat) your chicken
- Do not overcrowd your pot when frying
- Place chicken on a wire rack as opposed to paper towels after removing from oil
See My Story Below for Step-by-Step Instructions!
Brioche Buns for Crispy Fried Chicken Sandwich
I love pairing my sandwiches with a soft brioche bun, think of a croissant or danish in bun form! It’s made with butter, eggs, and milk, (greater quantities than average bread) which makes for a softer, richer, and moist bread. You can truly use any bun of your choice – but this one is a banger! Oh, and toast with butter before making the sandwich – banger 2.0.
What is the Best Oil for Fried Chicken?
Use a neutral oil with a high smoke point. Some great inexpensive options are vegetable oil, canola oil, peanut oil and corn oil. Alternatively, you can use extra light olive oil or avocado oil however these are significantly more expensive.
What to Serve with Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwiches
- Regular Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Fries, like these Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries & Roasted Garlic Aioli
- Salads, all kinds will do such as pasta salads, green salads, or fruit salads
Make-Ahead Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwiches
The chicken can be marinated in refrigerator for up to 8 hours or overnight. However, the sandwich is best enjoyed as soon as it’s assembled. You can also prep the coleslaw ingredients (cabbages, carrot and kale) ahead of time without adding the mayo, sugar or vinegar.
How to Store Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwiches
If you have leftover spicy crispy chicken patties or any of the toppings, it is best to store deconstructed (in separate containers). When ready to serve, heat chicken, toast buns, assemble and enjoy.
How to Reheat Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwiches
Spicy crispy chicken patties can be reheated in a skillet or pan on stovetop or in a microwave or oven.
Feeling for More Fried Chicken Recipes? Try These…
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful and tasty!
Lastly, sign up to our monthly newsletter for all TSS updates straight to your inbox!
Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Large Dutch Oven Pot or Skillet
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts halved
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme Leaves
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Sriracha Seasoning or 1 tbsp of hot sauce
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
Breading (Flour Mixture)
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Dried Parsley Flakes
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Chicken/Poultry Seasoning or Seasoning Salt
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Cajun or Creole Seasoning
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Egg large
- 1-2 tbsp Hot Sauce optional
- 1/3 cup Red Cabbage finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Green Cabbage finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Carrots shredded
- 1/3 cup Kale shredded
- 1 tbsp Granulated White Sugar
- 2 tsp White Vinegar
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Hot Sauce more or less as desired
- 4 Brioche Buns buttered and toasted
- 8 Sandwich Pickle Slices
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Buttermilk Marinade
- In a airtight, leak proof bag (Ziploc), combine the buttermilk, dried thyme leaves, cayenne pepper or sriracha seasoning, salt and black pepper. Add chicken breasts (half them length ways if too thick) to the marinade ensuring fully coated. Marinate for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator, or preferably overnight.
Breading (Flour Mixture)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, dried parsley flakes, smoked paprika, chicken or poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, cajun or creole seasoning, black pepper and whisk together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup of fresh buttermilk (do not use the same buttermilk marinade – may become too salty), the egg, and a tablespoon of hot sauce.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper fitted with a wired rack. Remove one marinated chicken breast from the bag, shake off excess liquid, and dip both sides in the seasoned flour mixture until the chicken is completely covered, then dip in buttermilk/egg wash and then back in the flour mixture – shake off excess flour, and place on prepared wired rack. Repeat until all chicken dipped and dredged then allow chicken to rest for 20 mins.
- In a dutch oven pot or skillet, heat vegetable oil to around 365 – 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Fry the chicken breasts in batches, do not overcrowd the pot. Once golden brown with an internal temp of 160 degree Fahrenheit (the temp will climb to about 165 after removing), remove and place on a clean wired cooling rack.
Creamy Coleslaw & Spicy Mayo
- In a medium bowl, combine coleslaw ingredients, mix together and set aside. Then in another small bowl combine spicy mayo ingredients and set aside.
- Butter and toast your Brioche buns, then layer on your chicken, coleslaw, pickles and dollop of spicy mayo. Serve warm & enjoy!!