This vegan, gluten-free Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats, is the perfect healthy, filling, grab and go breakfast for those with busy schedules or those wanting worry-free what to eat mornings! It’s made with old fashioned oats, chia seeds, warm Autumn spices, banana, and crisp apples, you’ll thank me later. Think a oat-sy apple pie in a jar!
Looking for more easy breakfast recipes? Try my Traditional Jamaican Green Banana Porridge or my Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge (Easy Breakfast Recipe) for simple, filling and comforting porridge recipes!
Table of Contents
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds
Coming at you strong with yet another Mr. Skillet (aka my husband) recipe! This Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats meal is the perfect make ahead breakfast for busy mornings and mornings in general. It’s one of the best vegan gluten-free breakfast recipes in our rotation of early morning meals. And, before you say it – yes we are in the middle of a pandemic, and many of us are now working from home. This still does not negate from having busy morning – rushing to meet deadlines, make the zoom conference meeting, getting the kids up, walking the dog etc. If you’re anything like me, I prefer easing into my day, and not having to worry about “what’s for breakfast”. These mason jars of goodness are so nice to grab & go (wherever go is). Furthermore, they are healthy, vegan friendly, gluten-free, and oh so satisfying!
What are Overnight Oats?
In very simple terms, they are a no-cook method of preparing oatmeal. You soak your oatmeal in liquid, most commonly milk or milk alternative i.e. almond or oat, instead of cooking on the stovetop or in the microwave. By soaking your oatmeal in milk, the oats soak up enough liquid until softened enough to eat. It creates a creamy, pudding or porridge type consistency that’s healthy and delicious!
How to Make Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds
- Oats: This is a must, it’s the star of the show. Start with old fashioned overnight oats, not instant or quick oats as the consistency is better with the former. For this recipe, I used gluten free oats. Oats are often processed in factories/ plants with wheat or other gluten-containing grains which can cause cross-contamination. If you have gluten sensitivity just ensure your old fashioned oats is truly 100% gluten-free.
- Milk: This is what softens your oats. I always prefer a nut milk like almond and oat. However you can use whole, 2%, or skim milk and even water! Let’s not forget coconut milk, and cashew milk – so much yum!
- Chia Seeds: These seeds are full of nutrients, and are an added bonus to these grab and go breakfast jars. They aid in giving oats the pudding like texture, and of course add to the deliciousness of it all!
- Banana: We love bananas in our household, and they add a delicious feel of breakfast to this recipe. They are also high in potassium and provide a natural sweetness.
- Vanilla Extract & Apple Pie Spice Blend: These are what give these overnight oats your apple pie flavour, without the guilt of “eating the whole pie in one sitting”. Be sure to add these in!
- Toppings: Feel free to add almonds, walnuts and/or other nuts, raisins, cranberries, apricots and/or other dried fruit. If you’re interested in a sweetner, add honey or pure maple syrup!
Grab the Grocery List (Screenshot The Below)!
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- Chia Seeds
- Club House Apple Pie Spice Blend
- Ripe Bananas
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Almond Milk
- Apples (Honeycrisp // Gala // Granny Smith any variety will do)
- Optional Toppings: Almonds, Walnuts and/or Other Nuts, Raisins, Cranberries, Apricots and/or Other Dried Fruit, Honey or Pure Maple Syrup
Watch This! Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats Overview
Other Healthy Eats & Breakfast Recipes
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds
- 1 1/2 cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/3 cup Chia Seeds
- 3 tsp Apple Pie Spice Blend
- 1 1/2 Ripe Bananas mashed
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 cups Almond Milk
- 1 1/2 Apples honeycrisp, gala, granny smith, any variety will do, divided
- Almonds walnuts and/or other nuts
- Raisins cranberries, apricots and/or other dried fruit
- Honey or pure maple syrup
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients – old fashioned oats, chia seeds, apple pie spice blend, set aside.
- In another medium mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients – mashed bananas, pure vanilla extract, and almond milk, set aside. Optional: cut and core 1 apple into small bite sized pieces, set aside.
- Add the wet ingredients, to the dry ingredients and mix well to combine. Fold in apples, if you choose to do so.
- Divide the mixture equally amongst 3 half-sized mason jars or other individual storage containers. Seal jar/container and refrigerate overnight. Store up to 5 days.
- When ready to eat, add additional toppings i.e. fresh apples, almonds, walnuts and/or other nuts, raisins, cranberries, apricots and/or other dried fruit with a drizzle of honey or pure maple syrup