Homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning is a bold blend of smoky, spicy, savoury flavours used to enhance your favourite meals. With just a few pantry staples, this easy taco seasoning recipe comes together in just 5 minutes!
Homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning
Chicken taco seasoning is a quick way to add flavour to your favourite dishes. There is no need for store-bought packets when you can make your own with maximum flavour and freshness! Whether it’s taco night or you’re looking for a way to enhance a soup, salad, casserole, or sauce, this seasoning blend is the answer!
Here’s Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Better than Storebought – Skip the McCormick and El Paso seasoning packets at the grocery store. Save a few dollars while also skipping extra additives and preservatives when you make your own taco seasoning from scratch for the best tacos.
- Easy to Make – use what you already have stocked in your kitchen to make a whole new seasoning in less than 5 minutes. It really is that simple to make homemade taco seasoning!
- Customizable – want less sodium? Want a spicier seasoning mix? Don’t want to include onion powder? Swap, omit, or multiply the ingredients in order to make your perfect spice blend.
- Versatile – chicken taco seasoning is for more than just chicken tacos! I’ll share some delicious ways to use your homemade seasoning blend.
What is Taco Seasoning?
Taco seasoning is a spice blend used to flavour everything from tacos to casseroles. There are many variations but most taco seasoning recipes include chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, paprika and salt. Jalapeño pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes and even cocoa powder are other common ingredients.
Regular taco seasoning is most often used to season beef but can be used to season a variety of foods.
Can You Use Taco Seasoning on Chicken?
Absolutely! Taco seasoning is a super versatile spice mix (blend) that can be used on chicken, beef, pork, and all kinds of other meats.
How to Use Chicken Taco Seasoning
- Shredded chicken or shredded chicken tacos
- Boneless chicken thighs or boneless chicken breasts
- Grilled veggies
- Ground chicken/ground beef/ground turkey
- Sauces and dips
- Tacos/burritos/quesadillas/nachos/taco salads
- Seasoning rub
What’s Needed to Make This Recipe (Kitchen Tools and Equipment)
- Small Mixing Bowl – use this to mix everything together before transferring it to a jar.
- Empty Spice Jar/ airtight jar/mason jar – to contain the seasoning.
Ingredients and Ingredient Notes
- Chili Powder – this imparts a warm, earthy flavour. It’s essential to any taco seasoning recipe.
- Ground Cumin – for a savoury, pungent flavour. It also has subtle citrus notes.
- Ground Coriander – this has a light, refreshing tart taste.
- Smoked Paprika – use this for a smoky flavour.
- Garlic Powder – this adds a familiar deep, savoury taste. Use about 1 teaspoon, same for the remainder of the ingredients.
- Onion Powder – for an oniony flavour.
- Oregano – this has a strong aromatic quality and slightly bitter taste with minty notes.
- Cayenne Pepper – this adds a spicy quality. Adjust as desired.
- Salt – you can leave this out if you’d like to add salt separately.
- Black Pepper – this has a pungent, piney taste with woody undertones.
Check the recipe card for exact measurements.
How to Make Chicken Taco Seasoning
Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix until evenly combined. Transfer to an empty spice jar or airtight container and store in your spice cabinet or a dark cool place.
How to Season Chicken for Tacos
Apply the chicken taco seasoning directly to the raw chicken before baking or grilling it. Nestle the cooked chicken between toasted tortillas (flour or corn) and add a spritz of lime juice. Enjoy a homemade taco!
Recipe Substitutions and Tips
- Low Sodium Taco Seasoning – use less salt or omit it entirely. You still get plenty of flavour.
- Spicy Taco Seasoning – use more or less chili powder and cayenne pepper, depending on how hot you like your mix.
Recipe Notes and Tips for Success
- Ensure your ingredients are fresh. Most spices last at least 6 months but if you are using old or expired spices, your mix won’t last as long or taste as good.
- Mix well before using.
- Double or triple the ingredients to make a bigger batch.
Store the jar in a cool dark place like a cupboard or the pantry. If it is particularly hot or humid where you live, store it in the fridge. When properly stored, chicken taco seasoning lasts up to 6 months.
When Should You Throw Away Spices?
Ground Spices – have the shortest shelf life, and don’t usually remain as fresh past the 6 month mark. It’s best to give your spices a whiff and if the smell is muted or not a pungent it’s time to toss it.
Whole Spices – are typically good anywhere from 3 to 5 years. Once ready to use, toast, grind, grate etc. them to bring the flavour and aroma to life.
As a general rule of thumb, spices should always have a strong smell, taste potent, and be rich colour and vibrancy.
Where to Put Your Kitchen Spice Rack
As mentioned above, the best place to store your spices are in a cool dark space. Most commonly, in a kitchen cabinet or cupboard, a pantry if you have one available, in a drawer, on the counter, hanging behind a door or on the wall.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Chicken tacos tend to have a more mild spice level than most beef taco seasonings. Although the Mexican spice blends are not exactly the same, they are often used interchangeably.
Absolutely! This blend lasts up to 6 months when properly stored. So make a big batch and store for future use!
If you have chili powder and cumin, you can use those spices as a taco seasoning replacement.
The best place to store your spices are in a cool dark space. Most commonly, in a kitchen cabinet or cupboard, a pantry if you have one available, in a drawer, on the counter, hanging behind a door or on the wall.
It’s a spice blend of cornstarch, maltodextrin, sugar, chili pepper, salt onion powder, and other ingredients.
Interested in more Flavourful Recipes? Check These Out!
- Loaded Taco Bowl with Cilantro Lime Rice & Fresh Pico
- Easy Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Dressing
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe
- Caribbean Green Seasoning
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe
- Jerk Seasoning
- All Purpose Seasoning
- Homemade Seasoning Salt
- Jerk Marinade
- Jamaican Pickled Vegetables (Escovitch Sauce)
- Homemade Tzatziki
- Easy Instant Pot Apple Butter
If you try this recipe, we’d greatly appreciate if you leave us a star ★ rating, as well as some feedback in the comment section below if you found this blog post helpful and tasty!
Also, please use the hashtag #theseasonedskillet on social media for a chance to be featured, and don’t forget to keep up with TSS on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and Pinterest!
Lastly, sign up to our Friday weekly newsletter for the latest TSS updates, blog posts and recipes straight to your inbox.
Oh, and share, share, share with your family and friends!
Chicken Taco Seasoning
- Small Bowl
- Empty Spice Jar or airtight jar
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper adjust as desired
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl and mix until evenly combined. Transfer to an empty spice jar or airtight container and store in your spice cabinet or a dark cool place.
Note, the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.