Quick & Easy Jamaican Jerk Chicken is a spicy traditional Jamaican chicken recipe that’s so very easy to make. Chicken is marinated in a delicious blend of fresh herbs, spices and jerk seasoning creating the perfect flavourful chicken dish for spice lovers! It’s a recipe worth trying at least once then you’ll fall in love forever! Serve as part of a main course or dinner with Vegan Jamaican Bulgur Wheat & Peas (Rice & Peas Remix) or Jamaican Rice and Peas!
When you think Jamaican cuisine, one of the first things that most likely comes to mind is jerk chicken! It’s one of my favourite ways to eat chicken – it’s aromatic, flavourful, and has a beautiful heat from the scotch bonnet pepper! I made this batch of chicken for my household and from the pictures, you can see that only half is saucy. The hubs loves a good sauce, me on the other hand would prefer it on the side so I can control how much I want. Regardless of your preference, you can enjoy this meal with or without a sauce and with intense heat or mild!
Table of Contents
How to Make Quick & Easy Jamaican Jerk Chicken
Marinate Chicken – in a large mixing bowl, add chicken and all other ingredients (except BBQ sauce). Toss to coat, and let it marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Grill – heat grill to medium-high and spray grates with cooking oil (i.e Pam cooking spray). Grill chicken, turning occasionally, until chicken is charred in spots and nearly done. Move chicken to a cooler temperature area of the grill and brush with reserved marinade. Grill, covered, until chicken is cooked through.
Quick & Easy Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe Tips
The key to flavourful jerk chicken is to ensure you have enough herbs and spices, marinate your chicken for a few hours or overnight, and prepare it on a grill (if possible)! If you don’t miss any of those three steps, you should be good to go!
Jerk Marinade – You can make your own jerk marinade however, if you want to save some time, Grace Jerk Seasoning (Mild) as well as Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning (Hot) are two brands I stand by. They come in both mild and hot heat levels, so if spice isn’t your thing, you can opt for the mild selection.
Slit & Marinate – Create small slits in your chicken and ensure the marinade gets inside – cover and marinate for a few hours or overnight.
Don’t Waste the Marinade – When grilling your chicken, you will need to remove any excess herbs and marinade. Don’t throw them away but add them to a small saucepan along with some chicken stock, brown sugar or honey, ketchup, and about another tbsp of jerk seasoning (optional). Thicken with cornstarch and water or simmer until reduced! Delicious!
Other Jamaican Recipes
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located near the top of the recipe card below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful!
Quick & Easy Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- 1.5 lb Chicken Thighs & Legs
- 2 tbsp Jerk Marinade i.e. Grace or Walkerswood Brand
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar optional
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Browning or Soya Sauce
- 2 Sprigs of Thyme
- 1 Escallion Stalk crushed
- ½ Medium Onion chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves crushed or minced
- 5 Pimento Seeds crushed
- 2 Bay Leaves
- BBQ Sauce if desired
- In a large mixing bowl, add chicken and all other ingredients (except BBQ sauce). Mix to coat, and let marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 30 minutes before grilling, remove chicken from the fridge. Heat bbq grill to medium-high or oven to 400°F (200°C) and spray bbq grates or wire oven rack with cooking oil (i.e Pam cooking spray). Remove excess herbs – thyme sprigs, bay leaves, escallion etc. reserve marinade (see notes section), and grill or bake chicken, turning occasionally, until chicken is charred in spots (bbq) and almost done.
- Move chicken to a cooler temperature area of the grill and brush with reserved marinade or BBQ sauce. Continue to grill or bake, until chicken is cooked through.