Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon, is a simple oven baked salmon recipe to serve anytime and is ready in under 30 minutes! Fresh salmon fillets are lightly seasoned and topped with a delicious blend of parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, and panko bread crumbs! This easy, flavorful 6-ingredient salmon dish is perfect for lunch or dinner!
If you’re looking for more salmon recipes, you should try my Lemon Chive Salmon Cakes, my Honey Sriracha Glazed Salmon or a reader fave, the Buttered Honey Mustard Oven Baked Salmon!
Table of Contents
Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon
Salmon recipes have to be one of the easiest, quickest meals to prepare. It’s so versatile, and doesn’t require much ingredients for it to be amazing. Not to mention, it’s loaded with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins B12, A & D, protein, bone-protecting selenium, and so much more making it a perfect weeknight dinner option!
Here are some reasons why I love this Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon recipe:
- Simple, quick, and delicious – need I say more?
- Requires only 6 main ingredients, which you probably already have on hand
- Perfect for meal-prepping and if you have leftovers great to toss on a salad for lunch the next day
If You Love Easy Weeknight Salmon Recipes Check These Out…
- Easy Creamy Lemon Butter Salmon
- Buttered Honey Mustard Oven Baked Salmon
- Cajun Honey Butter Salmon
- Garlic Butter Salmon in Foil
- Honey Sriracha Glazed Salmon
How to Make Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon
Preheat Oven & Oven-Safe Dish – preheat oven to 400°F (200°C), and smear 2 tbsp of butter on the bottom of a shallow oven safe dish.
Make Parmesan Herb Crust – generously season the salmon fillets with salt and black pepper, place in prepared dish and set aside. In a small bowl, add the panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, butter and mix until combined.
Add Topping to Salmon Fillets – distribute and press in the mixture evenly over the top of the salmon fillets and top with additional parmesan cheese as desired. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through and the crust is golden. If the crust doesn’t brown to your liking, turn on the broiler for 1-2 minutes, then remove.
How Do You Know When Salmon is Done?
Cooking time depends on the size and thickness of your salmon. This is determined by the thickest part of the salmon fillet, which will take the longest time to cook through. Once your salmon is done, it will easily flake – this can be done with a fork. You can also indicate doneness by checking for an internal temp of 145°F/63°C.
Other Factors that Determine Salmon Doneness
- If using salmon fillets or whole side of salmon
- Cooking temperature
- Variations in oven makes and models
- Size and thickness of salmon
Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon Recipe Tips and Notes
Don’t Skimp on the Parmesan Herb Topping – this is where the flavour comes from, so feel free to pack it on and make a good thick crust on top of each fillet.
Use Good Quality Fresh Salmon – your salmon fillets should smell fresh and faint, not fishy or ammonia-like. It should also have a firm and shiny, bright coloured flesh. Good quality fresh salmon is the first step to a great baked salmon.
Don’t Overcook Salmon – it is recommended to cook salmon to an internal temperature of 145°F/63°C, measured in the thickest part of the salmon, or until flaky, pink and opaque. Note, your salmon will continue to cook in the residual heat so you can take them out a little before that temp is reached!
Leave Skin On – this provides a good fatty flavourful safety layer between the fish flesh and a hot pan.
How to Cook Salmon in the Oven
- Preheat oven, then pat salmon dry. Use a piece of lint-free paper towel to do so.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to your salmon, and seasoning according to what you are making. Season generously.
- Next, place your salmon skin side down in a skillet, or oven-safe pan and transfer to your preheated oven. Ensure your salmon is near room temp (not cold or frozen) before placing in the oven – this helps the salmon cook evenly.
- Cooking time depends on the thickness of your salmon. This is determined by the thickest part of the salmon fillet, which will take the longest time to cook through. Once your salmon is done, it will easily flake – this can be done with a fork. You can also indicate doneness if an internal temp of 145°F is reached.
What to Serve with Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon
Serve this Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon with a side of mashed potatoes, rice or salad to make it a complete meal!
Other Side Options to Serve with Salmon:
- Grilled Asparagus
- Herb Roasted Potatoes
- Steamed Mixed Vegetables
- Roasted Mixed Vegetables
- Steamed Broccoli
What Ingredients Do You Need for Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon
Salmon Fillets – 6-7 oz salmon fillets with skin on or off
Fresh Garlic – use freshly minced garlic for best results
Panko Bread Crumbs – provides great texture and crunch for the perfect crust
Parmesan Cheese – cheese is a must, and a key component of the recipe
Fresh Parsley – you can also use other herbs i.e. dill and cilantro and adds a nice pop of colour
Butter – adds flavour and moisture to the salmon
Salt and Black Pepper – for seasoning, add as much or little as desired
Lemon – for garnish
Looking for more Delicious & Easy Salmon Recipes? Try These Recipes Below…
Buttered Honey Mustard Oven Baked Salmon & Cajun Honey Butter Salmon
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located near the top of the recipe card below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful!
Also, don’t forget to keep up with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon
- 3 Salmon Fillets skin on or off
- 2 tbsp Italian Seasoning divided
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded + 2 tbsp for topping
- 3 tbsp Fresh Parsley finely chopped
- 5 tbsp Butter softened to room temperature
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Lemon squeezed and sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C), and smear 2 tbsp of butter on the bottom of a shallow oven safe dish large enough to fit all 3 salmon fillets.
- Generously season the salmon fillets with salt, black pepper and 1 tbsp italian seasoning, place in prepared dish and set aside. In a small bowl, add the panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic, 1 tbsp italian seasoning, parsley, butter and mix until combined.
- Distribute the mixture evenly over the top of the salmon fillets and top with additional parmesan cheese as desired. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through and the crust is golden. If the crust doesn’t brown to your liking, turn on the broiler for 1-2 minutes, then remove. Serve immediately and enjoy!