Buttered Honey Mustard Oven Baked Salmon is a quick, very easy and delicious oven baked salmon recipe. It’s made with a very simple 4-ingredient buttery herby honey mustard sauce, that generously slathered overtop salmon then placed in the oven to bake until done! Perfect for a quick family-friendly weeknight dinner, ready in just 20 minutes from start to finish! Serve with a side of mashed potatoes, rice or salad to make it a complete meal!
If you’re looking for more salmon recipes, consider these options for your next quick and easy salmon dinner; Jamaican Coconut Curried Salmon, or this Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon, and definitely this Easy Creamy Lemon Butter Salmon!
Table of Contents
Buttered Honey Mustard Oven Baked Salmon
This honey mustard salmon recipe is one of my favourite recipes to make for our family, especially during the work week! I love making salmon because it is so quick and easy to prepare. It thaws extremely fast, in comparison to meats and poultry, requires very little cleaning and again, ready in under 30 minutes from start to finish! Here are some other reasons why I love this recipe:
- Not a huge fan of mustard, but the honey and butter mellow out the mustard and combined have a great flavour!
- Love the flavour and taste of the buttered honey mustard sauce – it’s sweet but tangy, creamy and just so delicious!
- Kids love it! I make this for the little ones in our family, and they’ve never complained – a great sign!
Looking for More Salmon Recipes? Check These Out…
- Jamaican Coconut Curried Salmon
- Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon
- Easy Creamy Lemon Butter Salmon
- Cajun Honey Butter Salmon
- Garlic Butter Salmon in Foil
- Honey Sriracha Glazed Salmon
What Ingredients Do You Need for Buttered Honey Mustard Baked Salmon?
- Salmon Fillets – 6-7 oz salmon fillets with skin on or off.
- Butter – adds flavour and moisture to the salmon.
- Honey – any variety of liquid honey will work, and add a hint a sweetness to the sauce.
- Dijon Mustard – this adds a sharp tangy taste to the sauce, that is mellowed out by the butter and honey.
- Garlic – use freshly minced garlic for best results.
- Salt and Pepper – use salt to your liking and freshly ground pepper to add a woody/ piney flavour and slight heat.
- Fresh Parsley (optional) – this adds a pop of vibrant colour, but not a must.
- Lemon Wedges (optional)- a good squeeze of lemon because one can never have enough on salmon, not a must.
How to Make Buttered Honey Mustard Oven Baked Salmon
Preheat Oven -Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C), and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Make Sauce – In a small mixing bowl whisk together melted butter, honey, dijon mustard and minced garlic.
Dry & Season Salmon – Pat dry salmon fillets and season both sides with salt and pepper. Lay salmon fillets with skin/bottom side down in the prepared baking dish.
Add Sauce to Salmon & Bake – Dollop buttered honey mustard mixture overtop salmon fillets and bake in oven for 11 – 14 minutes, or or until flaky, pink and opaque.
Garnish & Serve – with fresh parsley, lemon wedges and serve immediately.
Recipe Video: How to Make Honey Mustard Oven Baked Salmon
What Type of Salmon Should You Use
It is best to use wild-caught salmon fillets which yield the best flavour and texture. Here are some tips to look for when purchasing salmon:
- Wild Caught Salmon – look for wild caught and avoid farm-raised salmon. Farm-raised salmon is more fatty, and is less nutritious due to its artificial diet.
- Atlantic vs. Pacific Salmon – overfishing has severely affected the wild Atlantic salmon population to the point that most Atlantic salmon you’ll find in most grocery stores or served at restaurants are farmed.
How Do You Cook Salmon in the Oven?
- Preheat Oven, then pat salmon dry. Use a piece of lint-free paper towel to do so.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to your salmon, and seasoning according to what you are making. Season generously.
- Next, place your salmon skin side down in a skillet, or oven-safe pan and transfer to your preheated oven. Ensure your salmon is near room temp (not cold or frozen) before placing in the oven – this helps the salmon cook evenly.
How Do You Know When Salmon is Done?
Cooking time depends on the size and thickness of your salmon. This is determined by the thickest part of the salmon fillet, which will take the longest time to cook through. Once your salmon is done, it will easily flake – this can be done with a fork. You can also indicate doneness by checking for an internal temp of 145°F/63°C.
Other Factors that Determine Salmon Doneness
- If using salmon fillets or whole side of salmon
- Temperature the salmon is cooked in
- Variations in oven makes and models
- Size and thickness of salmon
Tips for Oven Baked Salmon
- Use Good Quality Fresh Salmon – your salmon fillets should smell fresh and faint, not fishy or ammonia-like. It should also have a firm and shinY, bright coloured flesh. Good quality fresh salmon is the first step to a great baked salmon.
- Don’t Overcook Salmon – it is recommended to cook salmon to an internal temperature of 145°F/63°C, measured in the thickest part of the salmon, or until flaky, pink and opaque. However note, your salmon will continue to cook in the residual heat so you can take them out a little before that temp is reached!
- Leave Skin On – this provides a good fatty flavourful safety layer between the fish flesh and a hot pan.
What to Serve with Oven Baked Salmon
Serve Buttered Honey Mustard Oven Baked Salmon with a side of mashed potatoes, rice or salad to make it a complete meal!
Other Oven Baked Salmon Side Options:
- Grilled Asparagus
- Herb Roasted Potatoes
- Steamed Mixed Vegetables
- Roasted Mixed Vegetables
- Steamed Broccoli
See My Story Below for Step-by-Step Instructions!
For More Quick & Easy Salmon Recipes Check These Out:
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful and tasty!
Lastly, sign up to our monthly newsletter for all TSS updates straight to your inbox!
Buttered Honey Mustard Oven Baked Salmon
- 3 6-7oz Salmon Fillets, skin-on or off
- 3 tbsp Salted or Unsalted Butter softened – just about melted
- 2 tbsp Pure Honey
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp Salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Coarse Black Pepper more or less to taste
- 3 tbsp Fresh Parsley finely chopped
- Lemon Wedges optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C), and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together softened butter, honey, dijon mustard and minced garlic.
- Pat dry salmon fillets and season both sides with salt and pepper. Lay salmon fillets with skin/bottom side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Dollop buttered honey mustard mixture overtop salmon fillets and bake in oven for 11 – 14 minutes, or or until flaky, pink and opaque (see notes section).
- Garnish with fresh parsley, lemon wedges and serve immediately.