Cajun Honey Butter Salmon is a delicious sweet-spicy seafood recipe with a buttery and flavourful sauce that’s ready in under 20 minutes! The cajun seasoning adds boldness and boastful flavor to the dish, while the honey butter serves up a sweet dainty twist. Serve as part of a main or entree and pair with veggies, grains or potatoes!
Looking for more quick and easy salmon recipes? Check out my Jamaican Coconut Curried Salmon or my Parmesan Herb Crusted Salmon and definitely my Buttered Honey Mustard Oven Baked Salmon!
Cajun Honey Butter Salmon
This recipe is one of the easiest, and tastiest salmon dishes to serve for a quick weeknight dinner, or as part of a gourmet at home dinner. It’s sweet-spicy, with a simple and delicious honey butter sauce that sets this recipe off!
What’s Cajun Seasoning?
Cajun seasoning is a blend of herbs and spices originating in southern America, but mainly Louisiana. It often features paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, peppers, oregano and thyme. The heat level also varies from blend to blend.
How to Cook Salmon in the Oven
- Preheat oven, then pat salmon dry. Use a piece of lint-free paper towel to do so.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to your salmon, and seasoning according to what you are making. Season generously.
- Next, place your salmon skin side down in a skillet, or oven-safe pan and transfer to your preheated oven. Ensure your salmon is near room temp (not cold or frozen) before placing in the oven – this helps the salmon cook evenly.
- Cooking time depends on the thickness of your salmon. This is determined by the thickest part of the salmon fillet, which will take the longest time to cook through. Once your salmon is done, it will easily flake – this can be done with a fork. You can also indicate doneness if an internal temp of 145°F is reached.
How to Make Cajun Honey Butter Salmon
First start with preheating your oven and pat drying your salmon fillets. Then, drizzle some oil olive, and season generously with the cajun spice blend. If salmon is chilled, allow to sit at room temp for at least 15 minutes to take the chill off.
Add a squeeze of lemon to the salmon, place in skillet and add three dollops of honey butter on each salmon fillet. Set aside remainder of the honey butter.
Place in oven, and bake for 10 – 12 minutes, depending on the thickness of your salmon or until flaky and internal temp reads 145°F.
When salmon is near finished or at the 7-8 minute mark, add remainder of honey butter to the skillet. Remove from oven when done, spoon the sauce overtop of salmon, garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro and serve.
What to Serve with Cajun Salmon
Serve this Cajun Salmon dish with one of these side dishes; mashed potatoes, a grain dish – rice, quinoa, couscous, roasted veggies like corn, greens, asparagus. I also like to serve this dish on a bed of pasta, sometimes plain butter pasta or creamy alfredo!
Grab the Grocery List (Screenshot The Below)!
- Salmon Fillets
- Dried Parsley Flakes
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika, or Regular Paprika
- Cajun or Creole Seasoning
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper & Salt
- Pure Honey
- Fresh Parsley or Cilantro Leaves for Garnish
Other Fish & Seafood Recipes to Try
Honey Sriracha Glazed Salmon, Jamaican Curry Shrimp (Seafood) & Jamaican Escovitch Fish
I’d greatly appreciate if you left a star ★ rating (located near the top of the recipe card below), as well as leave a comment if you found this blog post helpful!
Also, don’t forget to keep up with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Cajun Honey Butter Salmon
- 3 Salmon Fillets
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil divided
- 2 tsp Cajun or creole seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika or regular paprika
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Salt more or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 tbsp Butter softened or room temperature
- 3 tbsp Honey
- Fresh Parsley or cilantro for garnish, as desired
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Then in a small bowl, combine all the dry seasonings – dried parsley flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika or paprika, cajun seasoning, black pepper, and salt and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine butter and honey, mix until well combined, set aside.
- Pat dry salmon, then add a drizzle with olive oil on each fillet. Season both sides of salmon generously with dry seasoning, a add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to skillet or oven safe dish and place salmon fillets in the pan with a dollop of honey butter on each – do not overcrowd your pan. Set aside remainder of honey butter.
- Depending on the thickness of your salmon, bake for 10 -15 minutes or until flaky and internal temp reads 145°F. When salmon near done, around the 7-8 minute mark, add remainder of honey butter to the skillet.
- Remove from oven when done, spoon the sauce overtop of salmon, garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro and serve.
Note, the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
Molly SwainNovember 12, 2020 at 12:43 pm
I made this for dinner and it turned out perfect! I made one portion in my cast iron pan and added in some vegetables, which also tasted so good with the honey butter. This will be a staple in my house! Thanks Taneisha!
Taneisha MorrisDecember 3, 2020 at 9:33 pm
Hi Molly! Woohoo! Thanks so much for your comment, it means so much to me! i’m so happy this has become a staple in your house! Thanks again!!
JeannieMarch 16, 2021 at 9:44 am
This was delicious!! I made a few tweaks based on what I had available but it still came out great. Such good flavor – will definitely be a go-to when I make salmon.
Taneisha MorrisApril 3, 2021 at 10:56 am
Hi Jeannie!! How awesome! That’s the beauty of cooking, you can make all the tweaks to make it the ultimate dish for you! So glad to hear this!
MoniqueMarch 24, 2021 at 8:47 pm
First time making salmon like this!! It was the bomb!
Taneisha MorrisApril 3, 2021 at 10:55 am
Yayyy!!! Love to hear that! So glad you enjoyed Monique!
AnnaAugust 7, 2021 at 3:53 pm
Made this today and I have to be honest and say that it was not just super easy but it tasted PHENOMENAL!!! Will definitely be making it again!
Taneisha MorrisAugust 11, 2021 at 11:48 am
Hi Anna! Yayyy! I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed and thanks so much for leaving a review!!
YolandaMarch 7, 2022 at 11:46 am
This was so delicious! I can’t wait to try every recipe on your site
HattieApril 22, 2022 at 9:32 pm
Hello Taneisha I made your Salmon recipe with my Easter dinner and everyone loved it.
Taneisha MorrisJune 1, 2022 at 3:33 pm
Hi Hattie! How amazinggg, I truly adore comments like this! Thank you so much, I’m happy your family enjoyed!